The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPS-alutely :: Stacked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
One magic-related App I've found very handy is Stacked Deck (iTunes Link).

It's not a trick in and of itself. Rather, it trains you in learning a memorized deck - to the levels Dennis Loomis describes in his memorized...... article.

I think this is an area that needs to be discussed in the App section more - not so much iPhone Apps that do tricks themselves, but also ones that help in preparation!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
In the world of apps, that is expensive.
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
I was hoping that someone would do this. You type in which stack you want and it automatically creates the deck for you (it at least knows Aronson and Tamariz, I didn't try others). You can then do practice drills for number to card, card to number, next card in sequential order, and others.

Simple, but exactly what I expected.

More expensive than many apps, but you have to admit that there is a very limited audience for this.

K
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
I'm enjoying the ability to practice the stack whenever I have down time. It would be great if one could record sound for each card for use in the play forward mode. Then you could also use part of the Tamariz method for learning the stack.

K
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 03:12, Scott Cram wrote:
One magic-related App I've found very handy is Stacked Deck (iTunes Link).

It's not a trick in and of itself. Rather, it trains you in learning a memorized deck - to the levels Dennis Loomis describes in his memorized...... article.

I think this is an area that needs to be discussed in the App section more - not so much iPhone Apps that do tricks themselves, but also ones that help in preparation!

That's a pretty magic specific app...interesting.

jeff
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of nlokers
I've been using this for about a month now and have found it very useful. I average about 3 seconds a card in the card->number and the number->card modes, and I can do sequential forward and backward in about 1:20. I know it is expensive for an app, but it has been more than worth it for me.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Does it have Martin Joyal’s Six-Hour Memorized Deck? Can you add your own stack?
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 09:55, Tom Cutts wrote:
In the world of apps, that is expensive.

Agreed. I might bite if it added a faro feature where you can see what happens to your stack following x amount of faros, but $0.99 - 1.99 is a better price point for something like this.
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of nlokers
I think that the price is reasonable given that the developer isn't going to get a ton of downloads just due to the super small percentage of iPhone users who want to memorize a deck. I bought it (actually it is the only iPhone app I have ever paid for) and use it daily, probably one of my best bang for the buck purchases ever.
Er1tro
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
124 Posts

Profile of Er1tro
I've this app and I've found it useful in situation where you just 5 or 10 min and surrounded by people, like at the bus stop. it could be embarrassing in some situations taking out an entire deck, maybe with some colorful numbers painted on the cards.. Smile
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Are you guys seriously grumbling about the $5 price for this? It's targeted for magicians, so $5 is cheap. (How much money do you have invested in your unused effects drawer?!)
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.