The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Going for the 'Gold' :: Magicians in talent shows (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
Find people that help you build the act, also Be original in the material you choose
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Talent shows are different than magic contests. Do not prepare a talent show contest like you would a magic contest (ex: FISM, FFFF, TAOM, SAM, IBM, etc).
With Talent shows you are dealing with laypeople. They don't care. The 3 best things you can do for a lay contest is 1) wow them but don't be too technical about it, 2) get them to laugh, 3) Give them a story, be entertaining to watch.
I just recently won 2nd place at a county fair talent show by doing a small short sponge ball act followed by fiber optics. I had butterfingers and the rope slipped, and the method for fiber optics was exposed but no one noticed.

With laymen talent shows - you're going to stick out, There will be hundreds of musicians and singers. The odds are in your favor because judges like seeing something new.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Ubernutz
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
Norvil incorporates singing into his routine, always an option Smile