The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: So Happy together... :: Penn and Teller NYC next week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Since the original posting by Todd Robbins, I've seen almost no discussion of the Q&A event next thursday with Penn and Teller in NYC. It's their first NYC appearance in something like 9 years. It's a pricey ticket, but it goes to the Bill Graham Foundation.

Is anyone else going? I am making a day raod trip with a fellow magi. We also just scored Letterman taping tickets, which fits into the day nicely.

We're hoping to drop by Tannen's while in town, and I saw that they have a Jay Sankey lecture that night at 7pm. So if you're not going to the P&T event - check out Jay there!

Any other Café folks attending at Gramercy?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I was there.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Yes you were, and I have to say that the NYC area folks here really missed something special. I realize there was a sold-out Sankey lecture at Tannen's at 7 the same night, but I was surprised at the lack of interest in this event from the Café community. Some icing on the cake for me: Teller's first time "in character" (or suit really) speaking in front of a crowd, the Bill Graham Foundation's concert poster bonus with the ticket, which P&T signed for everyone after the show, Todd's fine hosting and moderation, meeting David Kaye outside the theater, getting Todd to sign my copy of the Modern Con Man, (I think he picked my pocket in the process actually) seeing the clear cups and balls live, and a preview of the best version of cut and restored rope ever.

Of course the cake was the Q&A, first as an interview by the esteemed Mr. Robbins then taking questions from the audience. I went to the mike for a question, and got an answer - but the most insightful thing I took from the night was Teller's account of how the silent partner persona came about. In a nutshell, he said that he always found magic "patter" to be insulting. He said more, but that was the heart of the matter, and when I thought about it, I saw where he was coming from.

Anyway, it was a lovely evening at the Gramercy, for a great cause. We also caught a Letterman taping that day, so it was an entertaining road trip to NYC for a couple of Pennsylvania amateurs.

Here are some photo highlights - I didn't get the camera out for cups and balls.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12......c51e3bab
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It was nice seeing you there. It looks like there will be more of these.

It is not surprising that there was not a big Café turn out at this event. First off, it was too expensive for most magicians. Second, everyone here knows that Penn & Teller are just obnoxious sell outs that have made their money doing gratuitous exposure of secrets of magic that have ruined the lives of countless magicians. Why would anyone want to hear them speak about their 35 year career of hard work that has resulted in a great deal of success playing major venues?