The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPS-alutely :: New Droid phone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1907 Posts

Profile of slyhand
The Droid phone will be out this friday. It is the competition for the Iphone. It has at the moment over 10,000 apps which I am sure will grow quite rapidly. Can this forum be used for this phone also?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Ofcourse!
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1907 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I love my Droid. I just hope there are some good magic apps for it soon.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I also love my Droid Eris. Hope to see some cool magic apps for it soon!

This is probably a stupid question, but can any of the iPhone magic apps work on the droid?
lloydinessex
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of lloydinessex
Im going to say no. Purely because the iPhone apps are made using Apples SDK (software development kit), and Apple don't like sharing!
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
No, they can't. It is more than a matter of installing it on the phone. The app has to be developed specifically for the operating system that it is intended to run on. It would be like trying to install a Mac application on a Windows machine.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
ksoze
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ksoze
The knock Apple usually gets for "controlling" the environment on it's systems has paid off so far with the iPhone. By controlling the hardware and OS and instituting strict standards for SW developers, the user experience can be common across apps. The Google open based OS on the Driod phone from Motorola has promise, but when the environment is shaped by the hardware maker, an evolving OS and then the carrier who tends to limit versions, it will be interesting to see how it all shapes up.
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, TX
250 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
I really hope someone will step up to the plate on this one.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1907 Posts

Profile of slyhand
YES! I have found only one and it's horrible.

Alec
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Here is a quote from a recent article following CES 2010:
"Not even 2 years old, Android is already a poster child for the fragmentation stymieing the development of software applications for smartphones."

An app developer myself I can tell you that systems whose biggest apps get 60 downloads per day are at a loss against iPhone's thousands of downloads per day for the better sellers. Best sellers do even better than that.

It is simple economics which any of the iPhone killers must overcome.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
You hit the nail on the head, Tom. The sheer popularity of the iPhone is a huge draw and the momentum it has cannot be ignored.

Even with newer phones like the Nexus One with a few better features (higher rez screen, etc), the UI experience and "snappiness" still falls short from what Apple released last June.

The competition are still playing catch up and with the rumored release of the Apple's tablet and iPhone OS 4.0 SDK in just over two weeks, Apple will jump even further ahead, cementing their two-year head start on the competition.

These are the main reasons (plus the fact that programming in Objective-C is just plain fun) that I will stick with iPhone programming and not even bother writing for Android, RIM's Blackberry, or Palm's webOS.

On a side note, I find it funny how so many new smartphones are hyped as being THE "iPhone killer" only to fall so short. I love competition. It helps us, the consumer. But it looks like the only phone that ever turns out the be an "iPhone killer" is the next release of the iPhone. Smile
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, TX
250 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
Doesn't google pay developers just to develop apps even if people are not buying your app? Maybe I'm wrong.