The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: U F Grant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
I see a lot of web references to U.F. Grant and his illusions. Is this person still living? and is anyone aware of a web biography for him or a book discussing his work?
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Well,

I kinda answered my own question. UF Grant born 01-12-1901 died 03-01-1978

Info on past magicians can be found at http://www.magictricks.com/bios/birthdeathab.htm

Now - anyone know of a biography on him or his work?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The Grant business passed down through his family and is still operating as Makmagic, run by Jimmy King. Strangely, there are none of Grant's card effects advertised by the business.

Responsible for hundreds of tricks, occassionally effects he bought from others lost their creators names over the years in advertising and then got associated with Grant.

A book on Grant would be interesting, but as far as I know there isn't one. A fair few of his card effects can be found in The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

Paul Hallas.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
...and his plans of illusions are available at Abbott's, such as "Victory Carton Illusions", "Nite Club Illusions" etc. And They are cheap!!! Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I'm thinking you'll find the carton illusion is in the Mark Wilson book.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Paul,
I am not talking about a single illusion. There are something around 10 of them including a levitation, a sword box etc.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Tora is absolutely right about the “Victory Carton Illusions” booklet. It contains several very nice, inexpensive, and potentially powerful illusions, and all in a booklet that can be had for less than $5.00 USD.

As an example of how powerful they can play, Hans Moreti paired two of the “Carton” illusions together (a tip over box idea and the sword box idea). He then added a chain escape and costume change to full clown (thus the need for the tip over box feature) and made it the closer of his show for over 25 years! It was some very creative thinking to create a magical masterpiece.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Ozlen,
re;
"I am not talking about a single illusion. There are something around 10 of them including a levitation, a sword box etc."

Yes, I realise that, I DID read your post, but mentioned that one because it might be in a beginners book Range Cowboy already has! Smile

Grant also started a monthly magic magazine around 1935 called The Trixter. I have never seen any copies, but would like to.

Paul Hallas.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Great, thanks guys.
I have seen the Victory Carton Book somewhere. Thats now running at about 10 on the Projects-I-Must-Start scale.

But I will get to the SwordBox eventually.

Right now I'm up to my ears in rope-trick and a levitation based on Fearson which have my attention.

RangeCowboy
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
....And Please do check Abbott's "Nite Club Illusions" from the same book family. And it is by U.F.Grant also. It is also cheap.
Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA