The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Our new arrivals :: Fifty Posts? Yikes! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sterlyn
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sterlyn
I've been hanging around here for a few days and am not a complete tyro, but fifty posts is steep.

It has taken me a week to rack up four.

Fifty will take me months.

This is a print rich place and a great colections of good thought.

Reading through the various threads is a pleasant, but time consuming task.

I want my additions to be thoughtful, pithy.

And all those animations take such a long time to load.

Fifty posts? And some of you have thousands. Yikes!
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Fifty posts took me 15 days (ish). I'm now at 100. Contribute to the community and the first fifty will fly by.

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
sterlyn
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sterlyn
ALEX - thanks for your reply.

In the early sixties, when I was just a wee little boy I lived in Calcutta, India and I was very shy. My parents hired a magician to come to our house and teach me magic once a week in hopes of helping me overcome my shyness.

His name was Ashok Fakir. Teach me magic he did and soon I was performing at childrens' birthdays.

He took me to see PC Socar and then later I got to meet him. Socar did some great coin vanishes that were amazing.

Years go by.

My daughter is turning three. What will we do for a party?

And so the bug rebites and here I am a year and a half and many children and friend shows shows later.

And I am still shy.

And I really hate all these smileys.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Welcome aboard, sterlyn. You'll be surprised how quickly you attain 50 posts.

You'll soon find a few areas where you like to go regularly and before you know it, you'll be offering advice, telling stories, or asking questions.... and racking up your 50 posts.

Until then, don't worry about the secret areas that require 50. You've got enough here to read without them.

Welcome again!
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Posting in the "Welcome" group doesn't increase your posts. There isn't anything too special in the secret areas (no secrets are given away). Just mroe advanced ideas are discussed. The kind of ideas that lay people should not be told, but won't hurt if they "bumped" into.

As for shyness, hmmph. I can not give you a "quick fix" for it. What I suggest is get confident with magic that you perform in your practice. If you can do your sleights and patter without hesitation, almost sub-consiously, then you can pay attention to "becomming friends" with your audience. Pretend they are people you have known for years. Inteact with them. You may even want to talk about yourself in third person...(ie: "ppsstt...look at that magician! Hes horrible"...whatever). You take the focus off yourself at the same time giving the audience a laugh or two. Humor is crucial when you are shy because it breaks the ice. If your audience is focused on your trick/illusion/performance, they won't "bother" you. I hope this helped.

Your daughter's party...I *suggest* that you avoid magicians for a few years. Only a hand full of effects would work on a three year old. I suggest waiting until she is 8 to 10 before showing her "magic". Magic requires analysis of concepts and children under 8 do not have it. They don't understand the concept of coins being "solid" nor 52 cards in a deck nor ropes being a fixed length ...etc...etc...etc. I would even recommend avoiding card effects for anyone under 10-12 because they probably don't understand the conept of a deck and how it "works". Magic for children has to be funny and VERY visual. Mentalism would be a no no. If you want to start learning practical tricks for kids, get stuff like professor's nightmare and sponge balls. Those are always classics and will hardly die or get lost. The hardest part of performing for kids is relating to them so that they pay attention. Relate with cartoons, watch them and learn "concepts" from them if you have to.

I guess I've said a lot. I hope it helps.

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
Well, The first 50 to 100 post does go by very Fast at first. But when you've past that stage and aiming for 500 to 1000 post, It's a Long....and Winding.....Road. Smile
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Dude, I know how you feel! Im not even 50 posts yet, and ive been on for a few weeks! Good Luck!
Shadow Dancer...
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
lol I got 50 in 4 days.....I have so much info to give everyone when they need help. I've been on for about a month or two now. Now I'm at like 250 somthing I think.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
just ask alot of questions, and it will all fly by
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Sterlyn Smile Smile Smile
having 50 posts is not a hard task... Try the new comers section. Once you begin to contribute, it goes very smoothly. You will agree me soon. Please have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill while you begin to type your new posts.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Glad you could join our little group..Welcome! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
enjoy the magic community and have a coffee while typing post after post.. till you reach the magic key of 50....

Martin
life is real magic
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
50 posts was easy for me.
It only took me a week!!!!!!!!!!!
Just go to search and type in topics that interest you, eg: Cards, stage.. whatever.
And post stuff on them, you will enjoy posting comments then.
Instead of looking at it like its a chore, then its no longer fun.
I think this place is great, so enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
Viper42
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Viper42
Welcome! I too am working toward my first goal of fifty Posts. Smile
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Sterlyn,

There is no need to rush towards the 50 post mark. It took me several weeks to reach that point because I was careful only to post when I had something worth saying. Café rules even state that these posts much be substantive posts which contribute to the discussion.

As Zednanreh said, major secrets are not revealed in Secret Sessions anyway.

It sounds to me like you are on the right path as it is. If you continue as you have been, you will suddenly find yourself at 50 posts in a reasonable amount of time and you'll have left a trail of thoughtful posts along the way.

Welcome to the Magic Café!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
sterlyn, welcome to the Café!!
I'd suggest you not even looks at the amount of posts, but there content. Slow and steady wins the race here. The time will pass quickly. Like the old adage goes, a watched pot never boils.

I'm looking forward to your contributions!!

Best,
Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
50 posts?! That's ludicrous! No way could I reach that amount!
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Wow Marko....I see you only have ..................................1304 posts Smile Anyway, true the secret sessions is nothing big at all. It's just a tad bid less strict then the public forums. No marketed secrets are let out anywhere here, that would be illegal. If you have tricks of your own you can share them. The secret sessions is pretty much a BIG help section.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Ibmerlin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Ibmerlin
I have been a member for over a year and have not hit 50 yet. Lol I need to reply more I guess.