The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Non-Spray Lubricant For Hinges & Tracks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
We just took our Zig Zag illusion out of storage after three years to put it back in the show.

I've found that the piano hinges for the door, and the tracks for the sliding box are a little "squeaky" and need to be lubricated.

Since the entire illusion is laminated, I really don't want to spray anything on there, so I was wondering if there are any good non-spray types out there?
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I am a fan of white lithium grease. It is quite thick so stays in place, lubricates very well, prevents corrosion, and is easy to apply from a small jar via Q-tip, etc.

--- Guy
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Another possibility is graphite powder. It comes in a plastic tube and can be blown into hard to reach areas by squeezing the tube.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
The problem we've found with lithium grease and other lubricants like it is that after a while it has a tendency to collect dirt and then it gets stiff. It does work good at first.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Doug is right with the graphite powder, although that can be a bear to clean up, especially if you overdo it; the graphite will continue to escape in small amounts, making dark smudges on clothing and such forever. It can be an ideal solution if you can get it in place cleanly, though.

Eldon is also right - grit and dirt eventually mucks up all lubricants. For that reason, a little goes a long way; If it is oozing out, it's overdone, and will definitely grab up all of that road grit.

I tend to favor the lithium grease as a personal preference both at home and in props. Your mileage may vary.

--- Guy
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
You also might try "Butcher's Wax". It is also called Bowling Alley Paste (I think). Cabinetmakers used it to "wax" the tops of cast iron machinery - like table saws and shapers. I have used it for years on those surfaces and don't recall getting any residue on the wood as it went through. As always, try it on a "small inconspicuous" area first though.

phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I do not have a large item like yours, but I find that a bit of parrafin, rubbing a candle on the surface, helps things to de-squeak and glide a bit easier for wood on wood, to metal on wood or metal.
I use soap on wood, just rub the bar dry across it, but the alkaline pH could damage some parts, so caution is the word there; works great on the kitchen drawers!
I find the parrafin will sort of wear/flake off as it gets used or dusty, but not in massive hunks or anything.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com