The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: too many sybils (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
There are hundreds of sybil variations going around and I was wondering which the very first one was. Is it BRS or something even simpler? I think Devo's heaven display is the newest sybil type cut but I'm not sure. Smile
MagicSponge
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicSponge
I believe the roots of the first Sybil were Chris Kenners Sybil (Out of Control) and Troy Hoosers, Ultimate Illogical Cut (Minotaur and Destroyers) however. Of course these were partly based off ideas from Bill Kalush and go way back to Gianni Matiolo's, Illogical Shuffle, (this was created a while ago but was first published in 1985 in the November issue of Apocalypse)

Later, Jay Sankey made his own variation of the Mattiolo move (after Hooser and Kenner and Kalush I think) and his version can be found on Sankeytized. Another name that comes to mind is Kosy, his cut is a very primitive one, but very, very good, his cut was published in Las Vegas Kardma by Allan Ackerman. However, his cut was created from ideas of Kalush, Matiollo, Hooser and Kenner.

That's just about all I know about it. There are tons of variations on many different cuts. There are tons of variations on the cobra cut and flipback (probably a lot more than sybil) but there is nothing wrong with a variation, as often times, a variation only enhances a flourish or effect.

And, 'better' is what we are all looking for!

Hope this helped,
Cheers,

Doug.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 14:54, Stick Man wrote:
.... I think Devo's heaven display is the newest sybil type cut but I'm not sure. Smile

I think the Heaven display is a different thing, I could be wrong. Heaven Display is in CTG right? I love Tudor's Sybil cut and think it is the best one out right now.

Lee
Jamil
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jamil
De's CTG is supposed to be the best sybil.

We'll soon see. The Heaven Display is something else but won't be released until the display DVD according to his website.

The first sybil has been accredited to Marius Sr. of Poland many years before any of us were born. It is said that the sybil originated from him, and many years later found it's way across the water to America.

Check the handlordz forum for more details of sybil, and it's overuse.

And there is NO WAY there are more variations of cobra than sybil..lol..

J
rooooony
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of rooooony
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 14:54, Stick Man wrote:
There are hundreds of sybil variations going around and I was wondering which the very first one was. Is it BRS or something even simpler? I think Devo's heaven display is the newest sybil type cut but I'm not sure. Smile

heaven display isn't a sybil, it is a display, between 2 fingers.

dominic
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
Heaven display is a display of 2 fans. You hold one fan, and the other is balanced on top of the first.
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
De'vo's Cradle to Grave is an awesome concept using the very first "sybil" published over 60 years ago by Marius Sr. from Poland. I love this routine and it is one of the first to use this cutting motion to do something different than the norm.

Since this old thread, Smile , sybils has really died down to more original material which is a GREAT thing! Very refreshing!
thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
Hey phantomace or as a matter of fact anyone reading this, can you recommend me where I can find materials on sybil and other flourishes. I have Cradle to Grave and the encyclopedia, but looking for other visual sources.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Brian Tudor's videos have lots of sybil work.