The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: THIN thread for semi close-up effect??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FrankBenning
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of FrankBenning
Okay...still WORKING on some stuff and wondering if there's some type of thread that's strong enough to support something about the weight of a desk of cards...but still "kind of invisible" for work that's done in like a parlor setting??????

In other words...not really "invesible thread" but hard to see (from the spectators viewpoint) and blend in really WELL with a dark (black?) shirt and vest from like 10 ft away!!?????

ANY advice would be really appreciated!!

THANKS!!!!
FrankBenning
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of FrankBenning
Sorry..I just HAVE to check for spelling...even if it is about 1:30am!!!

Not a "desk" of cards...but a deck...about that weight!!

and not really "invesible" (geezzzz!) thread...wow.

Anyway....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Check out the threads on Threads on the Café. It is not totally about the Thread but the lighting or light source, backdrops or background, carpet design.

Buy some DVD's on Thread magic. Losander comes to mind of the top of my head. You should really research it yourself.

To answer your question, it is yes, but you would not believe me, because the thread is like carpet thread thickness. You would have to set up a room for the purpose and design it just for this effect. Think about it, if a deck of cards can be the anchor for many floating effects, then what would it take to float a real deck of cards.

At what lengths are you prepared to do the effect of a floating deck of cards? Buy a house, furniture, draperies, cape ting, un-install and install windows in different places, lamps for proper lighting, entrances moved for angles.

Your question also tells me you have not done much work with thread, as you do not try to blend in with black. Did you know seamstresses use a darker color for sewing a color. Example: If you wanted to sew a red fabric, then you use a darker red thread on shade different.

If you install the Google search bar from Google for free,they include a free spell checker and language converter. I find it a handy tool.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?C......prd37982

Choose the smokey color for best results.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That's the best stuff. Available at almost any fabric shop. Smoke color is best. The key is do not have overhead or rear lighting. Keep things moving, if only just a bit. Don't feel guilty. Don't get greedy with the principle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
But if you can't change the method, change the moment. I don't know what you want to float, but maybe you can find a lighter replacement, or if it is actually a deck of cards you might want to do a switch.

Mike