The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: Dan Harlan Trick (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Years ago I saw a trick performed by Dan Harlan. A kind of three card monte. I remember it had a kind of corny story to it (something about his dad showing him a trick and if he did it right he wouldn't have to do his chores). What video series can I find that on and what is the name of the trick? Thanks.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 16:01, Magicjg wrote:
Years ago I saw a trick performed by Dan Harlan. A kind of three card monte. I remember it had a kind of corny story to it(something about his dad showing him a trick and if he did it right he wouldn't have to do his chores). What video series can I find that on and what is the name of the trick. Thanks.

The trick is called "Hold It, Buster" and can be found on his "Pack Small Play Big All Purpose Show" DVD.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 09:29, Doug Arden wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 16:01, Magicjg wrote:
Years ago I saw a trick performed by Dan Harlan. A kind of three card monte. I remember it had a kind of corny story to it(something about his dad showing him a trick and if he did it right he wouldn't have to do his chores). What video series can I find that on and what is the name of the trick. Thanks.

The trick is called "Hold It, Buster" and can be found on his "Pack Small Play Big All Purpose Show" DVD.

Thanks, appreciate it!
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I do this trick all the time. Plays really well with adults.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm working on it, trying to get it smooth. Not really complicated, but it's nice to find a way to make Dan's patter your own without changing the gist of the routine, because, face it, his patter story is well thought out, nicely constructed, (complete with corny gags!) very entertaining and hard to beat!

You'd be hard pressed to come up with a more entertaining storyline.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Laurent A
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Laurent A
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 22:48, Shawn D wrote:
I do this trick all the time. Plays really well with adults.

100% agree
Red Giant
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Red Giant
Is that trick, "Hold It," hard to find?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Not hard to find. It is on his new DVD, "HARLAN: LIVE from Haines' House of Cards," and also on his older DVD, "Dan Harlan's Pack Small Play Big: All Purpose Show."
Red Giant
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Red Giant
Thanks Magiguy. Come to think of it, wasn't Dan Harlan the guy who robbed a store and ran off the cash register, but when his pants fell down, he fell and smashed some teeth out?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
That's not how I remember him. I know him as a talented, creative artist with a bright future, and years of ingenuity ahead of him.
Carnac
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Carnac
I have done Hold it Buster for years using much of the patter that comes with the effect. I also must say this plays great with adults. I have also made a JUMBO version of the jumbo cards when I am playing to very large (cruise ship size) crowds. And, there is also a regular size card version called Hold it Buddy.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2010-05-29 22:07, Red Giant wrote:
Thanks Magiguy. Come to think of it, wasnt Dan Harlan the guy who robbed a store and ran off the cash register, but when his pants fell down, he fell & smashed some teeth out?

Actually, it was a BAR/RESTAURANT and I STUMBLED off with the cash DRAWER which I thought was mine, then some other drunks chased me and I thought I was being robbed, so I ran and my JEANS fell down, and I fell & smashed ONE TOOTH out. Oh yes, I was COMPLETELY DRUNK, too. Please try to get your facts straight!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Red Giant
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Red Giant
Whoa Mr Harlan I was just asking a question. I'm sorry if I got a few details of that news story wrong. Now that you've corrected me it sounds perfectly normal.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
At least Dan admitted to his state of mind at the time. A lot of guys wouldn't even do that.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
Amen...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think we can view it as just a blip on the radar screen of Dan's life. He's put it behind and moved on to creating new effects. (Which seems to be what he does best and was probably born for!) My opinion is that we ALL make mistakes, and what makes mine any less worse than the next guy's? If I point a finger at someone else, there are always three pointing back at me.

So even though I was initially disappointed by hearing this about Dan, I refuse to judge him, and am not changing my opinion about him one bit. He's STILL one of the most creative dynamos in the magic world, and every time he has a new release, my eyes open wide with anticipation. Nothing better in my world that getting a NEW Dan Harlan effect! Never let's me down!

What would magic be without this guy? Just THINK of Cardtoon, Hover Card, the Harlan Hookup, Birthday Suit, and the dozens of effects he has given us. We would be much poorer magic wise if not for Dan.

You da' man, so rock on Dan! Smile
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Anyone have a link on where to buy this?
MattWMagic
View Profile
New user
Issaquah, WA
23 Posts

Profile of MattWMagic
It's called hold it.
sunfighter
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of sunfighter
I love this trick. I want to perform it. Dan Harlan is not selling this as a stand-alone so where can I get large-size individual cards? I would need 4 identical cards and one different one. Dan uses four 2 of spades and a red king.