The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Old Abbotts Aga (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Does anyone actually have (or have you built) the old original Abbotts Aga, or have any experience with them?

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I've had my hands on one .. all I remember is a crank and it weighed a ton. Not much else you need to know.

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The best version of the Aga is to make a Ken Griffin Aga. It all enclosed in a box.

Drop me regular email Keith if I can help further.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
I had one years ago. Bought it from Spurlock and eventually sold it to Terry Evanswood. It was well-made out of steel with a wooden rising block. This one was made with a gooseneck. Came apart for packing and fit in the back of the car. Verrry heavy main piece. Easy for the operator and girl, but....there wasn't a ratchet or safety on the crank. If it gets away from you the girl is coming down fast and hard. Don't even think about trying to re-grab the crank--you will lose a hand.
My friend Chuck Jones sent me a list of illusions he has for sale including 2 agas. Also a Gaughn cannon and nest of boxes, Invisible man, lions bride, Owens sawing and more. PM me for his contact information if you are interested.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Someone gave me a copy of Ken Griffin's Aga design that were drawn for him by someone who worked on Ken's show. It is a very interesting set up, and unlike anything else I'd seen before.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Abbotts Astro!!!! The best old school levi...yes I still travel with it....Packs large and plays even larger!!!
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Steve Dick owned the Ken Griffin aga and just recently sold it. Just another crate backstage till you open the back door and insert the rod. I had several looks at it. Very crude mechanism ( a little scary) but it worked. Steve thought of marketing plans and ( or) actual copies of it but was advised that the market for the device was very limited. I had an old Mark Wilson aga bullt by John Gaughn ( used in the park shows) that we rigged into a below stage elevator trap for Larry Wilson's Wonderland show. Larry still has the device and tried to post it on Magic Auction. They wouldn't take it, saying that "those things just sit there and take up band width". On another note--the Astro levitation is actually available from McMaster-Carr supply. It is a pallet lifter with an added gooseneck.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
I use a Genie Superlift - 650 pounds up to 24 feet high (custom made removable gooseneck). It is mostly aluminum and fairly easy to move around by one person. There is a safety clutch/ratchet on it. These are also handy for setting up and striking the show.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
There is one on the magic auction by gauhan
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
It seems like I remember the Abbott's Aga was made from a modified stacker. It should of had a safety catch. They may have removed it to eliminate noise.