The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Coins for Charming Chinese Challenge (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I find that thicker coins do work all the same, and that the coin thickness is just a matter of preference. I prefer the thicker coins. In the first display and going into the stack, and if done correctly, nobody will see how many coins are actually there. I use Ton Onosaka Japanese coins myself. I have also used the Chinese coins from Joker Magic in Hungary, which are a dream do use and they work very, very well for this effect. If anyone has the Triple Color Changing Chinese Coins and Stretched Chinese coin from Joker, these are the same types of coins. I have been looking into buying some of the Mogar coins for other work and want to try them with this effect as well.

The ribbon I use is not silk at all, but it is a very strong 100% polyester ribbon, 7mm (1/4 inch) wide red ribbon, and it works perfectly for everything in the routine - except the Tokyo Opener. Even with the heavier coins, I cannot get this ribbon to work for that, but that is okay by me because the routine kills even without it! This ribbon also lasts - I have done hundreds of performances with the same ribbon - the very first one I cut off of the spool, and still there is no fraying. I did coat the ends with some Fray Check to help keep them neat.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have been working with the Lance Pierce coins and routine and agree it does have some neat "upgrades" or differences. I purchased this based on Curtis's recommendation. I have a tough time with written as opposed to video coin magic visualization and instruction, mabye Lance can be persuaded to post a demo. I know I would never had done Troy's routine if I had not seen how great it looked in a video.
Kirjava
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Kirjava
Does anyone know where I can buy some Sterling chinese coins?

The Sterling website emphasize that they do not sell and only list resellers in America that don't have the Chinese coin in stock. Plus, I presume most of them won't ship to France anyway...
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Kirjava
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Kirjava
Thank you!

I did found the CCC coins but there is no mention of the Sterling brand... I hope they aren't counterfeit.
There's also a slight price discrepency: the sterling coins are listed at 9.50$ each while the whole set of 4 coins is sold at 29.95$.

I'll contact Hocus Pocus for reassurance =)
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 01:10, Kirjava wrote:
Thank you!

I did found the CCC coins but there is no mention of the Sterling brand... I hope they aren't counterfeit.
There's also a slight price discrepency: the sterling coins are listed at 9.50$ each while the whole set of 4 coins is sold at 29.95$.

I'll contact Hocus Pocus for reassurance =)

There were/are a lot of dealers selling four coins as a packaged deal (read: lower price) for use in the Charming Chinese Challenge, but many of them are not the Sterling coins at all. Most of them are the Fun Inc. Chinese coin with the dragon on one side. I am happy with the coins that I use, so if Hocus Pocus is selling a 4-pack of Sterlings I will pick them up, and I am sure others will too. Let us know!
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
They are Sterling coins. I just got a set.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I wish I could find some here in UK.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
The set of coins that Lance Pierce sells are terrific and very nicely priced ($20 for just the coins or $25 for coins + his routine.) Plus shipping of course.

I strongly recommend this set.

The coins look / feel / work great for either Hooser's original routine or Lance's personal handling.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, Chris Aguilar wrote:
The set of coins that Lance Pierce sells are terrific and very nicely priced ($20 for just the coins or $25 for coins + his routine.) Plus shipping of course.

The coins look / feel / work great for either Hooser's original routine or Lance's personal handling.

Absolutely endorse the Lance Pierce coins.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, Chris Aguilar wrote:

I have had these for a while and they are great!
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I am looking for the coins for ccc, on the dvd troy dosnt use a shell. more info please, I live in UK. cheers. magicwalsh@gmail.com
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Just got a refresher session at Joshua Jay's lecture yesterday - His presentation is so crisp. A great reminder to keep certain effects short and sweet and never so contrived! He delivers a great lecture. David Regal in May - Spring is off to a wonderful start.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
The brighter chinese coins would be better,??
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Edit : I'm looking for coins with a thickness that is ideal for CCC. What would you guys suggest ? Thanks.