The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: Contracts with Magic Distributors for your Product (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mcfly25
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of mcfly25
I have contacted several magic distributors with regards to a magic book I developed. I sent them each a "sample copy" of my book, and asked them to consider distributing it to their stores. I have recently heard back from a couple distributors, and they indicated to me that they would like to carry my product. They asked for me to send them "more information."

Does this mean that they want me to send them my prices or my terms? One distributor wanted me to do an "exclusive" with him. Does that mean that he wishes I sign an exclusive agreement to ONLY allow him to distribute my product? Has anyone dealt with a magic distributor like this before and have any advice on how to proceed? I would like to get an idea of how much I should offer for my book, and what kind of terms I should offer him.

I would also like to get ahold of a contract or agreement between a distributor and
"magicician" like me. Any help/advice/information/tips would be appreciated.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
-Generally, they offer the terms first, although those are open to negotiation (and, with them offering first, you're better off, since the general rule in negotiating is that he who speaks first loses). That said, there are standard base terms, including that a distributor buys at jobber rate (60% off of retail price, and then they sell it at the wholesale rate of 40% off the retail to dealers), and generally has 30 days from receipt of the product to pay you. Some companies will offer to buy more of the product initially if you go to a 65-70% discount.

-They will want you to tell them what you are looking to retail at, although they may offer advice as to pricing if they think you're totally off base (either low or high).

-Yes, that's what an exclusive means. Generally when a company offers an exclusive distribution, it means that only they can wholesale it (you're only allowed to do retail sales to anybody else, and to comp copies that are not for resale, of course), and in trade they buy more intially and more heavily promote the product both to shops and to end consumers through their own ads.

-You cannot likely get a look at a contract between another creator/publisher/author and a distributor, because that would be in violation of the confidentiality clauses most of these contracts include.

The best way to tell if you're getting a fair deal is to do what you've done, and get offers from more than one distributor, and see who gives you the best terms.

If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to post them, or you can e-mail me privately and I'll be glad to offer whatever advice I can.

-A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!