The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Paul Gertner's Private Lessons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I just got a chance to watch Paul Gertner's newest DVD release, Private Lessons—Professional Card Forcing Techniques. In this DVD, Paul explains and explores the world of forcing cards. He covers the Classic Force, the Dribble Force, the Riffle Force, the Mental Fan Force, and the Hindu Shuffle Force. If you are a beginner, you will learn these five force techniques because Paul is an excellent teacher. Intermediate and advanced magicians will pick up some subtleties that will strengthen your arsenal of methods.

The discussion about the Classic Force was of great interest to me. Paul delves into some of the psychology behind the technique that he uses. His teaching method is conversational and is easy to understand. I really believe that along with this DVD and with my DVD on the Classic Force, the student will learn how to master this illusive weapon.

Additionally, Paul reveals and teaches four dynamic routines using the force methods he teaches. I really liked them all. This DVD is filled with great value! I highly recommend it!

http://www.paulgertnermagic.com for more info.

Respectfully,

Paul Green

PS I receive no financial gain from the posting of this review.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Thank you for your information Paul. I highly recommend your Classic Force DVD still one of the best source for anyone who want to master this classic technique.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Frankie636
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Frankie636
Amazing guy how he can simply take an old item that is in your junk drawer and give it life... Something all magicians should be able to do.

Yes-- Tarbell has many dated material items, but I am sure Gertner would rekindle those items to the year 2009 and beyond.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Frankie, the force is far from 'an old item that is in your junk drawer'. It is a staple in the world of card magic and has never and will never reside in the junk drawer of anyone serious about card magic.

Title: Private Lessons: The Classic Force by Paul Gertner
Media: DVD
Card magic, essential sleights

Paul Gertner is a professional magician from the East Coast, a very good one, who isn’t as well known as he should be or would be if he wasn’t busy doing magic for real people who pay him to do so. Paul has released what I am guessing and hoping will be part of a series called Private Lessons and in this case the lesson is on that very valuable sleight the force. What is the force? If you just asked that question then I’m afraid you do not deserve to call yourself a magician. Imagine that you walk up to a person, for some of you that would mean you are staring blankly dressed in black and speaking in a monotone, and you fan a deck of card and have one selected. You then produce the card from a plant, an ice cube, your pocket, the top of a building, or just state it. Nice huh? With the force you are in control of the situation and can do what appears to be miracles and the classic force, hence the title, when done right just seems like a card is being selected. There are a number of forces, the name comes from the fact you are forcing the spectator to take a specific card without their knowledge, ranging from the not so great to the classic force, which I consider the best and the one that scares the most people.
Paul teaches five forces, all of them workers and of value to the card magician. Along with the Classic Force you will learn the Dribble Force, the Hindu Force, the Riffle Force, and the devious Mental Fan Force. The Classic Force will take some practice but you can actually practice every time you have a card selected by a spectator and if you miss, you do something else. The Dribble, Hindu, and Riffle forces are all workers that are relatively easy to perform once you learn the psychology and thoughts behind them. The Mental Fan Force is a new one to me and will take some work to get the rhythm but once you have it you will have an incredible force to work with. The DVD also comes with four routines that use different forces, including Pauls Opener, which is a nice routine as are all the other routines taught. Screamer would be a great routine for you guys desperate to meet girls by the way.
The quality of the DVD is very good. There are no bells and whistles just a well lit and well shot video of Paul performing and then explaining, in great detail, every aspect of the forces and routines. I have been forcing cards for decades but I learned some methods from Paul that I think will improve my forces all the way around. Paul communicates well and understands how magic works and how to present it. The DVD is an hour long and you’ll want to watch it a couple times to make sure you understand what Paul is telling you. If you already are out there forcing cards you’ll want to consider this DVD just to sharpen your skills, if you do not use the force then you should absolutely get this DVD and learn one of the most valuable sleights in magic. You won’t be sorry
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I saw Paul (years ago) do a good part of a lecture on the classic force and it was amazing the thought he put into it. The dvd should be great.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A good force can make for amazing magic.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
I remember the Desert Magic Seminar in 1983. That was the first year that they started giving the "big" prizes ($10K, being on Japanese television, an engagement at the Magic Castle, etc.). Paul took first prize in a very talented international group of entrants. That says something.

Bob Phillips
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I saw Paul perform in Louisville at the IBM convention. He was outstanding. So if his Classic Force DVD is any where as good as his lecture, I am know I wont be disappointed, Maybe, just maybe, I will finally be able to do the force consistently.
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Paul is a wonderful performer. I recall seeing him for the first time on the World's Greatest Magic 2 with his steel cups and balls routine and I was blown away.
I purchased a couple of his Steel and Silver Videos (yes, VHS!) and his thinking is brilliant. Such a commercial performer, and if they are anything to go by, I am picking up this DVD!
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
I first saw Gertner at a trade show. He fit in great and really drew crowds to his sponsors booth in an understated way, if that's possible. I've always love his magic, handling, and thinking, and this DVD exemplifies everythinh that is Paul Gertner. Get it.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Paul is a wonderful Magician, entertainer and teacher. Anything he puts out is great.
~Joe
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I heard Paul is putting together a lecture tour.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3107 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2010-04-03 11:46, mumford wrote:
I heard Paul is putting together a lecture tour.

He just got through doing a lecture tour not all that long ago.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!