The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Levitation for 'Water Fountain Lev.' (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2009-08-27 13:00, Dennis Loomis wrote:

Remember this is a dangerous illusion... you have about a 50/50 chance of dropping dead with a heart attack when John Gaughan tells you what it's going to cost.

Dennis Loomis

Dennis, got to second the nomination for this as funniest line of the year on this forum. I'm not sure but I sense that it is probably an old line but the context in which you used it was priceless (and the fact that there is no doubt so much truth in it).
Well done, Sir.
Best,
Bill
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Swann101
You could go for a normal aga levitation and loose the water, you will save many headaches! I have an aga levitaion that folds down, but needs a backdrop to perform.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Two other illusions that may have given some inspiration to the water levi might have been the John Daniel (partner in Owens, and creator of "ShaZzam!") levitation used on the "It's Magic" show back in the 60's. He had two fountains on stage (made at Owens, which I now have) and as the girl rose so did the water, as she descended so did the water, when the Asrah vanish part took place, the water in the fountains just dropped totally. This was detailed in Genii at that time.

Another illusion which I found had a very similar look to the current water levi was the girl floating on water in an open oyster shell from the Thurston water fountain act. This photo has been in many books, and always reminded me of the levi, although I do not believe she moved.

Just a couple of thoughts!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To M.Frymus,
There are many illusions which you can build or buy. But what makes YOU the illusionist is that you select or create your own material, you bring your own thoughts and ideas to the method, the effect, and the presentation. That's what will make it YOURS. It's okay to look for help, but understand that if someone has a great idea they are not just going to give it away on the Café because you ask them. (Although I have shared a couple more fountain ideas in the P.S. below.) There are many books and some DVDs full of ideas for illusions. Look at all of the great concepts that Paul Osbourn has published over the years, so get to work and study and put your head into it and come up with something that is YOURS.

Thanks to the guys that liked my parting line in my last post. Sure, the general idea has been around for a long time (Is there anything new under the sun?) But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Dennis Loomis
P.S. To Blair: I've not been able to find out many details about the Thurston Fountain Levitation. We've all seen that one picture in Christopher's Illustrated History of Magic... but that's all. Know anything more?
P. P. S. The first concept I had for the Fountain Levitation was interesting, and could be done today. It was for a TV presentation. The Magician stood at one end of a swimming pool. A girl dove into the pool at the other end and swam to the end of the pool where the magician was. She flipped over onto her back at his feen and he gestures and she raises up off the surface of the water to about his waist lever, seeming supported by Jets of water that mysteriously rise from the water. He gestures and the fountains stop and he does the hoop pass. Two assistants then pluck her from the air for the final bows. At appropriate stages, some underwater shots could be incorporated into the presentation.
In another version that Doug and I brainstormed the setup is quite simple. On stage is a beach scene with a child's wading pool, beach chairs, towels, and a surf board. Two chairs are positioned at either side of the wading pool and the surf board is placed across the backs of the chairs. A girl lies on the surf board, and the fountains rise up out of the wading pool. The chairs are removed, and then the board is also taken away. The magician gestures and the fountains dissapate and a hoop pass is performed. The Chairs and surf board are replaced, and the girl comes down off the board for the final bow. This one would be more practical and less expensive, but not as effective.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Here is a youtube clip of Thurston. At the end is the fountain levitation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6f4a2l_w3Y
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Thanks Craig!!

Gee, she revolves also!! Who do I ask for the rights to this illusion? (I did have a contact with Jane Thurston, but he's passed on!) LOL

(I never realised that is was a levitation, let alone revolved)

P.S. DENNIS: I still have my membership card from Philadelphia (76) or was it New York? Is it good for discounts??? LOL

Blair
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Craig,
Wow! Thanks for posting that link to the Thurston Footage. Wish I had seen that years ago. It was really quite an illusion. And, a remarkable achievement for it's time. It's triggered some interesting new thoughts, but I'm not ready to give them away.

Blair,
It was Philly. PM me about what it's good for. Is your's "unauthorized?" I assume so. There were two versions of the "SSS" cards, I assume you have the one printed on white stock. We never kept a list of all of the members for obvious reasons, but some of the names would surprise you. We ought to have a "reunion."
Itinerant Montebank
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Gosh, I'm heartbroken.
You mean Doug didn't actually have a dream in which that illusion came to him?
He made that claim so many times with such conviction and he seemed so genuine. Plus, he just seemed goofy enough that you actually believed it could have happened. At least I did. Of course, I was pretty young and like Doug, wanted to believe in the wonder of magic.
Thanks for bursting another one of my (precious few) bubbles.
Next you'll tell me there isn't really a Santa Claus.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Videoman!!

Say WHAT?????

B

(LOL)
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Videoman,

If I burst your bubble, I'm truly sorry. There is a strong tradition of magicians patter containing hyperbole. Most of us stray from the truth from time to time. In one of his television appearances Doug enthusiastically stated that his wife Debbie came up with the idea for the Double sawing in half illusion. Problem is that Channing Pollock did it on the old Hollywood Palace TV Show years before, and I know Doug saw it because we watched it together. (Whoops, I did it again!)

Jack Gwynne told the audience that his Sword Temple Illusion was a ritual that he saw enacted in Benares, India during his travels. Hyperbole.

A contemporary magician I won't mention, but who is brilliant, had a program in which it stated that as a youngster he would practice his magic every day until his hands were bleeding. A lot of us practice, and sometimes we may practice for hours... but bleeding hands? Hyperbole.

Doug truly did want to instill a sense of wonder in his audiences and if he stretched the truth a bit... well I think we can forgive him for that.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Paul Osbourne has an effect in Build your own Illusions, Vol.3, I believe. It is a Tony Spina effect. It is called silk suspension. It's a beautiful effect and may be a nice alternative to the water levitation. It would most certainly be a lot less expensive to build, and a lot easier to troupe. With the added bonus that hardly any magicians perform it! He describes the illusion using a b***w s***e aga. I would modify it to use a standard.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have a friend who is selling his. Wants $5,000, in exc condition. Used on a cruiseship. Goes 10' high.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Well then.
as this water fountain didn't work out as I had planned. What else could there be to build?

This doesn't mean it needs to be a levitation as some people mentioned.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Have an elephant escape from a strait jacket as you levitate it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
If you do recreate this, it would be nice to go back to Doug's original idea of using Thurston/Dante's water fountain idea to lead up to it. It is seldom seen these days and would be a great way to blend it together.

Also, Doug made his assistant appear inside of the fountain of water which was nice. I suppose you don't want to take too much from Henning, but his presentation on this was special.