The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Rhapsodies in Silver & Other Mysteries (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 10:17, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-27 19:00, Turk wrote:
Does Michael Vincent teach the Rhapsody in Silver on this DVD set? (Or, is it performance only?)

Thanks for the info.

Mike

The routine performed on the demo is completely explained on the 4th disc. Just watched it thru last night and I am seriously considering getting dollar size coins and sh*ll to learn this. Half dollars aren't visible enough for my taste for routine this caliber.

Also on 4th disc were rather interesting effect by Eddie Joseph. It got great reaction from the helper and is rather different effect in general. Havent really seen anything quite like it before.

Also 4th disc had complete explanation of Vincents coins across routine from the first DVD set. It wasnt explained in there but it is here. It has some very interesting thinking and especially the beginning, that wasnt on the first DVD set with purse frame is fantastic. I allready adjusted it to suit my 3 coin routine.

Weakest link of disc 4 was chink a chink routine. Although I understand why Vincent has altered the way he has, I still prefer Ammar/Roth routine on this.

Only disc 3 to go. Jumped straight from vol.2 to 4 to see the Symphony in silver Smile

Juha-Matti

Thanks for your comments on the disks. Looking forward to your thoughts on Volume 3. I've been on the fence with this one. I liked Volume One a lot and for that reason am tempted to buy this.... but, I'm not much of a coin person so I feel that all of this instruction will be wasted on me. And, I have more than enough card material in Volume One I haven't taken a stab at yet. Question, though: is the card material on Vol. 2 much more advance (ie., difficult) than in Volume One. Is there as much palming required?

I will probably get this at some point. For me the value of the first set lay more in the intangibles than in any specific routine.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:

Thanks for your comments on the disks. Looking forward to your thoughts on Volume 3. I've been on the fence with this one. I liked Volume One a lot and for that reason am tempted to buy this.... but, I'm not much of a coin person so I feel that all of this instruction will be wasted on me. And, I have more than enough card material in Volume One I haven't taken a stab at yet. Question, though: is the card material on Vol. 2 much more advance (ie., difficult) than in Volume One. Is there as much palming required?

I will probably get this at some point. For me the value of the first set lay more in the intangibles than in any specific routine.

I watched thru the 3rd disc now as well. It starts with very lenghty discussion on card handling similarly to vol.3 of the first set. This time the details covered were at least card controlling with breather (super, but rather shallow), Stuard Gordon double turn over and some other double lift work, tips on Zarrow shuffle and some work on palming.

The routines teached were stand up version of Vernons matching cards that had some nice thinking on adopting your close-up routines into stand up settings. Also teached was Vincents version of Jennings Ambitextourious travellers. I have never cared too much for this plot, although I used to perform Mike Close version when I was younger. Vincents version has tons of great adjustments that make this routine much more deceptive that the original and also the palmings are somewhat simplified, but it still requires A LOT of palming.

Also discussed is Eddie Fecter effect "Be honest, what is it" that is commonly known as 2 card monte by Blaine. I learned this from old tapestry of deception tape and Vincents handlings and presentation make this one of the strongest stand-up card effects out there. I have used it A LOT and it kills. However many people do it wrongly or badly because of the top change. Many good tips for those people on this explanation.

Considering the question is the material more advanced that in first set? Well, kinda... They are still far from hard or really finger flinging when you compare them to lot of the other material out there. Most of the card routines utilize palming in one way or another, but that shoudnt scare you off. In most cases, the palms happen on the offbeat and the routines become a great way to learn how to palm comfortably. I have palmed cards for years personally so I didn't have any problems with the routines presented.

The coin work isn't too difficult either. There really isn't any "really" hard sleights or moves. If you can fingerpalm, maybe thump palm and occassionally classic palm (although this is used sparingly) the routines shoudnt be too difficult to master.

I have to say that I personally don't like coin magic much either, but I can honestly say, that pretty much every coin routine on this is worth learning and I am considering learning at least few of them. The card work was also very good. There were at least 2 effects worth the price of the set for me (Invisible card and ACAAN work). "Be honest, what is it" and breather crimp work would be 3rd and 4th but I was allready familiar with them.

In the end, and even though I am not a coin guy, I have to say that I liked this set even more than the first one.

Juha-Matti
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Thanks for that review-- juha and everyone
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Korttihai_82

Thank you for your very kind and considered evaluation.

I hope everyone finds something to there liking.

In reviewing the DVDs for myself, I saw some opportunities to improve some of the effects even more, especially "The Ambidextrous Travelers" effect.

Good luck my friends

Cheers

Mike Vincent
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Hi Michael and every fan of your magic !

I enjoyed a lot this second set (I viewed everything in one day and have to re-view all of it a little slower now), it is amazing once again, full of excellent advices and routines. I'm more into card magic too and this set is excellent as the first one was even for those like me. I have a long way to go until I perform it at least at 10% smoothness as you do but you inspire the envy to do so, so please go on with the next set, I'm already waiting for it (yes I know, I should practice the rest first ;-)

About the DVDs, the music is very pleasant, can you or someone else give me the references so I can use this too please ?
(sorry if it isn't exactly the subject here)
Thanks !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I've been working through the videos and have to say this is a fantastic DVD set, folks. 4 DVDs of coin and card work (none of this one trick DVD nonsense)! Now if you're looking for some sort of new coin concealment, you will probably be disappointed. As Michael points out several times, he is integrating the works of others. What experienced magicians will appreciate is how well thought out his routines are. There are few magicians who discuss misdirection / direction; tension and relaxtion, where to look, structuring of the routine, etc. It's a bit like Tapestry of Deception, in this regard, but with more routines.

I was tempted to skip past the discussion of various palms and the Ramsay vanish, but I'm glad I didn't. I always thought that the Ramsay vanish looked strange, but Michaael clarifies why this is and gives a solution that really works.

My only suggestion at the moment would be to have future explanations be less repetitive (the same sequences are repeated so we can see them again). This would be useful in a lecture setting, but for a DVD, well I've got a rewind button. Others may disagree with me, I'm sure.

Anyways, I was very pleased with my purchase and look forward to Volume 3.

- Frank
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Thank you again gentleman

Keep thinking about the hidden elements on the DVDs, that is where the real gems are.

Keep asking questions...

How can I apply this to what I all ready do and know?

how can I make this better?

What's missing?

When I make a new purchase, a book or DVD, I am not looking for new effects.

My intention is to enrich what I already know. For example, I have just received Ken Krenzel's new book "Relaxed Impossibilities" and already, after reading Ken Krenzel's thoughts has got me thinking about a whole new approach to the concepts of "Tension and Relaxation".

For another example, I have been fascinated with Vernon's Travelers effect for over twenty five years. I have decided to go back and revisit some of my earlier effects and see what I could do with them now with twenty years performing experience and study of magic. Guess what, I have come up with a whole new attitude and approach to "The Travelers" plot which I am excited about.

Keep up the good work gentlemen and thanks again for your feedback

Mike Vincent
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Everything from Mike is pure gold on the pathway to excellence... Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
This and Volume 1 are both excellent and very well-done, in my opinion. The product has a very classy feel as well. It is easily one of my favorite sets and Michael has become one of my favorite performers. I enjoyed this very much. Highly recommended.
mamutrance
View Profile
New user
Ireland, living in London!
46 Posts

Profile of mamutrance
Ive watched this set at least 30 times, in parts and as a whole, I'm currently soaking it all in slowly. There is GOLD on this.
baobow
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of baobow
From this dvd I have finally learnt the mechanics for the Stuart Gordon double lift which is very exciting. It will take a while to perfect it but it just adds such a sense of naturalness when doing a double that makes it worth the effort to put the practice in
bigdhri
View Profile
New user
RI
63 Posts

Profile of bigdhri
I think the DVD set is an excellent addition to anyone's DVD library. I actually got to see Michael perform some of the effects before I bought it at Magic Live. When I got home and watch the DVD's I was glad I picked them up.
dbain
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of dbain
I loved this DVD set (as well as Michael's previous one). I like that Michael not only does a good job teaching but also presents a general philosophy about performing. Would have been great to have had a DVD like this years ago when I was first learning magic.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1066 Posts

Profile of helder
What coins MV use in his three coin routine?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
baobow
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of baobow
Morgans from memory