The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Roydon's Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dave Pierce
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Dave Pierce
Greetings Fellow Magi,
I'm fascinated by the creative mind of Harry Roydon and collect the pocket tricks he invented and sold. However,I know very little about him. Is there anyone out there who knew him or has any substantial information about him or his magic? I currently own the following Roydon items,most being new old stock with original packaging and instructions: Cardo Escapo,Coin Capers(pat.1958),Daffy Dice(pat.1956),Funny Money,Genie Beads(pat.1957),Little Fooler(pat.1958),Riddle Ribbon,Rising Pencil and Wacky Washer. I'm sure there are many more. If anyone could supply me with scans or photocopies of Roydon catalogs I'd very much appreciate it. I'd be happy to provide copies of instructions to anyone who needs them.
Kindest Regards,
Dave Pierce
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Roydon's Fantastic is one that I had. Cards repeatedly appear between two cardboard panels rubberbanded together. Someone was selling remakes of it on Ebay a couple years ago and then they suddenly disappeared. Maybe they were told to stop??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I have precious little about him in my Brief Biographies of Magic Inventors:

http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioQRS.htm

and scroll down to Roydon. If you can add anything at all to his biography from your research, I'd appreciate it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I LOVE the swallowing swords made by Roydon. I had 3 of them (gave one to a friend) along with another that did basically the same thing, but in a different fashion and came with another matching blade that could be reproduced somewhere else. Imagine pushing a sword into the side of your stomach, breaking off the blade (leaving it "inside" you), and reaching around to the other side of your body and slowly pulling it back out, just as it went in. I believe he also made the first "roll-up" type vanishing/appearing wand.

Steve
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Harry was good friends with my sales manager's (Jack Barrows) stepfather, Alex Great aka Kim Kee. Harry was responsible for many ideas that he doesn't get credit for today. I have a few of his original protypes that we hope someday to release that were given to Jack by Harry. He was quite the 'thinker'.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
My favorite is "Fantastic." Gene Anderson turned me onto it 30 years ago. Currently you can buy it on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Magic-Tr......07V3H7IC

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey DENNIS~ AND Michael BAKER~~~ Do you remember Gene Anderson's routine for FANTASTIC in an "IRELAND YEAR BOOK" from the late '70s??? I have a copy of that yearbook. I always enjoyed Gene's sense of humor. Lines like; VARIABLE TENSION GRIPPER, caught my interest.

Hey RICK FISHER~I knew Alex Great, but never knew he was Jack's stepfather. I've used A&B Shooting Wand (.22) for over 50 years. It's always a show stop laugh. (average 30 + seconds)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
As a young man in South Bend Indiana, Harry Roydon was one of my mentors. A reat guy!
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.