The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Is it ok for a magician to watch exposure videos for learning purposes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about this recently, and I've been wondering what everyone else thinks about it: is it ok for a magician to watch exposure videos for the purpose of learning either new effects or at least principles in Magic? For example, several times there was some card sleights that I wanted to learn, and since I really had no other way to learn them, I looked 'em up on youtube. One of them was the invisible pass, which I knew the basic principle to, but I wasn't sure about some stuff, so I looked for a video so I could see what I was doing wrong. The other I didn't know at all how it was done, but I did genuinely want to learn it, and learning it helped me a little bit on a decision with a future purchase. Also, last night I was watching Magic's Greatest Secrets Finally Revealed, and one of the really simple illusions he revealed (pencil through a balloon), I think I could use in the near future. So is it ok for me to learn through exposure videos since I am somewhat new to magic, or would you say that it's supporting exposure, and therefore shouldn't be done? Thanks for your thoughts,

JIMC64
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Depends who you talk to. Some say yes some say no. Some say depends on what is exposed, a move being in a different category than exposure of an effect ...this debate or question has gone on and on and will continue to do so.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ok or not, will it really stop anyone here?

Seriously... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 13:39, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Ok or not, will it really stop anyone here?

Seriously... Smile

BINGO!!!
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
A bit of a toughy, but it's not really going to stop anyone. Sometimes there are sleights in the books I have that I can't quite understand how it looks. In such cases I usually ask a fellow magician who knows the sleight and sometimes I check youtube to see what it looks like. I find that there are many magic videos on youtube where the sleights are quite poorly done and they already have a "tutorial" for it. Oh well...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
See... Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Well there is a code....... Honor among thieves!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I believe our job as magicians is to learn magic. As long as Youtube and the like are around I say use it too. But I will let you know what Youtube will not teach you. It will Not teach you the inner thinking behind the effect. A book or video by the person who invented the effect is of far greater significance then just learning the "trick". Also our attitude is different too. When we purchase an effect we know it cost us something and we will naturally treat it with more respect. Plus we can go over the notes, the timing the patter and in some cases audience control. All covered in any DVD or book that's worth it's salt. When someone will just "click and learn tricks" well they will be a great "trickster". And deep down they will always know ANYONE who happens upon YouTube will know how it's done.

This is one of the differences between a trick and an effect. A true magician knows he must believe what he is doing is NOT known to the audience he performs for. If he assumes everyone knows what he is doing well what would be the point in performing the effect? The "SECRET" is the backbone of an effect.

So to end this book I've managed to write I say yes to learning from Youtube, Masked Magician and even Talking Frogs if you have to. But do so knowing there is more to an effect than just the trick. Sometimes information on effects is very hard to come by. But when you can find it buy it if you like it. In the long run you will be doing yourself a favor.

Good magic to all,

Eric
amazing_gordo
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
35 Posts

Profile of amazing_gordo
I was reading magic books and stuff long before YouTube and the internet, or the Masked Magician.

I still think it's wrong to expose, but you know what? I've suddenly decided that the tricks exposed are mostly junk!

Valentino says he does the Masked Magician thing to make us come up with new stuff. (Really, he does it for the money)but he does have a point.

Tricks that are really ancient, and crap that's been exposed on the net are only throw-a-way tricks. Same old same old! Boring, done to death garbage!!

I gladly accept his challenge to come up with new and better effects! And I have!

If we are to maintain our status as magical performers, we must rise to this challenge! Besides, decades and even centuries old tricks are just trash anyways. If we are to get any respect, and rise above the "rabbit in the hat" stereotype, we have to come up with new and better illusions!

On THAT score, Val is right on the money!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Amazing_gordo wrote..

"Besides, decades and even centuries old tricks are just trash anyways."

I completely disagree with that. That is just disrespectful. Especially here on this Forum.

You might disagree with ME but neither David Copperfield, David Blaine, Criss Angel, Derren Brown or Jeff McBride would ever think of making such a statement. Unless you think you are better than THEM, neither should you.

Respectfully, never forget where your art came from and those who paved the way for you.

Seriously, that's disrespectful.
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
Quote:
On 2009-06-22 23:32, amazing_gordo wrote:
Besides, decades and even centuries old tricks are just trash anyways.

Yeah ! And those Wright's brothers are trash too, did you see their plane! And don't get me started with Edison or Gutenberg... Smile
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Watching as much magic as possible, whether it is good, bad or indifferent, is a valuable learning experience for anyone who is seeking to develop and improve their own performance. Watching "exposure" videos has no impact, either positive or negative, on the exposer. Valentino got paid when the video was shot, whether or not you watch it doesn't affect him at all. Gordo's comment that old tricks are trash anyways only demonstrates his lack of knowledge and experience -- a trait that is sadly not uncommon on the Café.
Dick Christian
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
Quote:
On 2009-06-20 00:25, gumbystock wrote:
I believe our job as magicians is to learn magic. As long as Youtube and the like are around I say use it too. But I will let you know what Youtube will not teach you. It will Not teach you the inner thinking behind the effect. A book or video by the person who invented the effect is of far greater significance then just learning the "trick".

Certainly a book can go into more depth than a youtube video. But if something on youtube teaches you a new (new to you, anyway) method and inspires you to incorporate it into an original effect or use it in an original way then that is a good thing, isn't it?

I think I am agreeing with you more than disagreeing?
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I mean no offense when I say that I could totally fry you, and also entertain the panties off your girlfriend with my collection of "decades and even centuries old tricks".

Again, no offense, but in my opinion, this statement ranks up there as one of the most misguided ideas ever forwarded on the magic Café...

PS- you'll never really learn anything of value on those exposure shows anyhow, so enjoy them all you like!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 03:35, gaddy wrote:
I mean no offense when I say that I could totally fry you, and also entertain the panties off your girlfriend with my collection of "decades and even centuries old tricks".

I think this is exactly the point. If you have a brilliant and original presentation of an effect, it won't matter if the method has been exposed because no one watching your brilliant presentation will even think to connect it with some lame video they saw on youtube.
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com