The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: Card spins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Hi All

I'm looking for ways of spinning a card from one hand to the other

The sort where the card is spun from the top of the deck with one hand and then goes up (rather than out) and lands in the other

I have one method that I've used for years but it creases the cards badly and I feel there must be a better one out there

Or is there a thread already?

James
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
Not sure what you mean by up than out but a few ideas could be...lennarts top shot, the thing david forrest uses all the time not sure what it is called (pretty much guaranteed but done vertically so face of the card can be seen), there is one on the showoff with cards dvd (also the rick smith card throwing dvd) called 3rd finger scaling.
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Thanks for the response daviaac

Do you use any of these or have a favourite?

Or know where they are published/DVD'd

James
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
James,

My spin off technique (which is based on a Larry Jennings one handed dealing technique) is featured on my Trickery DVD set which you can find on my website by clicking the link in my signature.

I find the technique to be very useful as the spin off is done directly from dealers grip - there is no re-positioning of the deck before hand.

I think there is a brief clip of the card spin in the demo clip on the website...yep, there is.

Cheers,

Dave.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Thanks Dave

This looks exactly what I'm looking for

I have sent you an order

Many thanks

James

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:08am
David

Just received DVDs - Now that is good service!

Cheers

James
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
My pleasure, hope you like them.

Dave.
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
To be honest it depends on time and place and for different tricks. Dave’s as you have seen, is the easiest and most guaranteed not to fail in my opinion. Sometimes I substitute it for something that doesn't show the card right away like the one David Williamson uses in one of his routines in Williamsons wonders, David stone uses this on one of his DVD’s but does not teach it very well. my favorite is definitely Lennart green's top shot, which I will say will take time to learn at distance but is definitely worth it. Many have advice on this move i.e. do it closer (to me this doesn't look as impressive) learn from Lennart Green if you would like to do this move properly and try and get the same difference. There is also a unique move on one of the cultural exchange DVD’s also shows Lennart Green's move.
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In the Tarbell Course--Volume 4 I think--is a description of Audley Walsh's "Long Distance Side Spinner." I first saw Johnny Hart do this flourish on the Ed Sullivan show and finally found it explained in Tarbell. There are actually a couple of variations on the card spin in Tarbell, but the Walsh version is the best. (Someone in a lecture I think recommended wearing one of those rubber tips that cashiers use sometimes for counting bills. But it can be done with just your thumb as well.)

In my routine, I put the four aces in four different parts of the deck and use a multiple card control (also from Tarbell--I forget which volume) so that I could spin the first three the standard way to produce them. The last ace is spn while holding my hand behind my back, which means you catch the card with the back toward the audience. When I catch that card, I "peek" at it before I show the face and miscall it, saying, "Whoops! It's the _three_ of diamonds." Then I say "That's okay..." and I blow on the back of the card before I show it to the audience and then turn it face toward them as I say, "I'll just change it to the ace of diamonds!"

-----Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez