The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: My favorite equipment when table hopping. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
HotAce
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of HotAce
I don't know about everyone else, but I still love to use the 'Topit', have been for 10 years. Does anyone else use this device? And if so, what is your favorite routine utilizing the topit?

HotAce Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Though I never use one myself, I've seen others who do...a great utility! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Hot Ace!

What are your favorite applications for the topit!

Are you mainly using it for vanishes or ?

Sincerely,

Steve

P.S. I have the pattern, but have not yet put it to use! Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
HotAce
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of HotAce
Hi there.

Actually I use the topit for vanishes and for loads. It is great especially when doing close-up surrounded.

Smile
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
I've been meaning to set one up for years. I have a friend who uses it and loves it. Like many of the props and accesories we have available to us it takes practice to become proficient and see the possibilites of what can be accomplished with it.

JR
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hiya, I use it and love it.

I vanish the Jigger at the end of Jiggernaut with one. I wasn’t going to give that away, but as you asked.. Smile

Life’s simple if you make it simple.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
The Dead Ranger
View Profile
New user
Biloxi, Mississippi
45 Posts

Profile of The Dead Ranger
Yes... topit...

I love Cloutier's work... I have a topit put into all my "working" clothes... By having the garment made to fit with the topit installed during construction, it allows me to add some unique touches... I love 'em!

Just my opinion... I could be wrong...

Smile <- Can't feel his legs...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have been using a Topit since seeing a Patrick Page lecture in 1977 (NYC). I have a homemade Page version that pins into any coat. In fact, when I travel I simply take a couple of hairnets and pin one in place. It works fine for the couple of effects that I use one for.

I have never bothered to use the Ammar version that is built into the coat. Of course, that also means that I can’t retrieve the vanished item from my pocket. I have never built a routine that required my retrieval of the item once vanished.

By the way, I have also used the Topit to vanish the “jigger” from Jiggernaught. It just seemed logical to me (magician’s “logical” that is!).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I recently got the Cloutier Topit video and was pretty much convinced by the potential of it. But I still have not been able to find Plans/Pattern for one.

I think the hairnet idea is intriguing and will try that as a stop-gap.

But I would like to have one "installed" into each of my performing Jackets which are already somewhat specialized as I took Cloutier’s advice on His on Sleeving video and they meet his suggestions there.

I have seen a number of suggestions for web sites to find the plans, but when I went there, I could find nothing Topit related.

A real source would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just received Ammar’s duel tape and pattern for the ’topit’. The Tapes, $50.00 and I just watched the first one. The quality of the first tape is very poor but the information is detailed and looks great. Haven’t reviewed the second one yet.

Patrick Pages tape on the Topit was excellent. It looks like a very good item for close-up magic.

Smile
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I work without sleeves close up and I always have a Pendulum ready for absolute vanishes, I can also easily retrive the item if required, due to the special end of the pendulum.

Phillip
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I'm in the I-like-it-but-haven't-used-it camp. I purchased the Ammar topit pattern, but have not had it installed. Does anyone have a ball park figure for having this done? Additionally, I've seen the Coultier tape, and now I wonder if his topit might not be more suitable? Does anyone have a preference? And most importantly, why?

Thanks

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
A pendulum Phillip? What's that?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have been using a topit since 1983 right after I bought Michael Ammars Book "The Topit Book" Anyone remember that book?

My first topit cost me $20.00 to put in. It was done just like the book said to do it. It is very hard to find someone to do it. Most people are a little scared because they think that they will ruin your coat. About three weeks ago I wanted another topit, The person wanted $160.00!!! Then he backed out of the deal.......

Here is a tip that I came up with, (I am sure others have though of it also) The tab that tucks.... put a pocket in the end. That way you just put your fingers in the pocket and tuck it in. Makes it easier.

Hey P.b Jones, is the Pendulum what us old timers would call the upside down topit?
I don't want to go into detail here.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The pendulum is kind of like a pull.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
The pendulum and the upside down topit sounds like they are the same thing. It was talked about in the Linking Ring about 10 - 15 years ago. There was also a book about it.
HotAce
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of HotAce
It's great to see that a great many performers are using the Topit. Over the years I've developed and modified the utlity device in it's design to create a fool-proof method in allowing myself to vanish an article painstakingly. Plus a routine in which a spectator actually assists in making a small object vanish right in his/her own hands. Of course when one tends to work with a device like the topit for as many years, one cannot but come with new alternative approaches.

HotAce
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1790 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I have been using a toppit for about two years, Ammar's Toppit book has been the best resource for me. My main use is the dumping of a gaff & switches so items can be be left in the spectators hands, I do use it to assist in the vanish of a Fantasio & in conjunction with Ammar's Haley's comet. If you can locate his toppit book I highly recommend it.