The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Hypnotic dangers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Here is an interesting page.

I am not saying I agree with it. I know most on here will say its all complete rubbish. But I know in my time Ive had my share of scarey moments. The last story is something most hypnotists should at least be aware of.

http://www.dangers-of-hypnosis.co.uk/dan......sis.html
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I would guess all stage hypnotists should carry insurance. Scary stuff. I can visualize umbrella attorneys camping out at the next stage hypnosis show and handing out tons of business cards while giving out his own post hypnotic suggestions.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I just think with the merry flogging of products for profits on here there is a real imbalance on information to newbies about the risks.

I don't care what anyone says when you work with the general public and play with their minds and emotions there are real risks that are always brushed under the carpet on here.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
This type of website/sales pitch is so familiar in our world. Someone says hypnosis is UNSAFE, unless THEY provide the training. In this case, a guy selling a book.

There is a a plumbing company in our city with a radio ad, "Do you know who you are inviting to your home? Child molesters, rapists and bugulars. Call our plumbing company, we are bonded, insured and do the most complete background check in the city."

Hypnosis training programs are often sold with fear.

Hypnosis is natural, safe and effective, and something that is already within sombody not something on "does" to another person. The greatest risk is someone falling and getting hurt. That is the real risk, and that can be easily managed.

I always tell people, if it is being sold with fear, DO NOT BUY THAT PRODUCT OR SERVICE...
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are being sold with fear, well that does not speak highly of the product.

If you can't manage to get your point across through a series of features and benifits, I am not interested in the product.

It may very well be a great product, but I for one am tired of everything being sold with fear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Hes not selling anything hes actually sharing his experiences. People do have webpages up that aren't pitches. That isn't a pitch.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I have had a few very scarey moments where things were not totally safe I know of other hypnotists with similar stories. Although I might not agree with everything on this page. I know the strories are most likely based on truth.

The fact is we are playing with the minds and emotions of the general public. And for most part we know nothing about them. There is a risk and there dangers to hypnosis. And in this frenzy of selling products and shows they get overlooked.

You see this is my point. ost of the vendors on here only SEE HYPNOSIS AS SOMETHING TO SELL. So they conviently leave out the aspects that could harm their sales.

With a rosey painted picture that hypnosis is like learning card tricks or mind reading. Even do some therapy while your there and earn a few extra tips. Its not. It never was and it never will be.

When you start doing shows there are other things to consider. That will come as a suprise or perhaps shock at some point in many hypnotist careers especially in the begining.

People are unpredictable in general.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
It IS a pitch if a product is sold on the pages. He promote his book and uses his website to do it. Brilliant marketing, I am sure he sells a lot of his books from people who become interested in his webpage. But face it, sales is sales. Doesn't mean a sales page cant have valid points or interesting features, but it is still a sales page for the book and himself...
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I'm a worrier by nature. I love this new found love and hope to just use it as an enhancer and supplement to mentalism. Im receiving formal training which will give me an opportunity for hands on. So many great ideas (and warnings) from all here for the grasshopper.

Candin
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I agree that it is a pitch. Just look at the entire web site. The so-called dangers are listed because he's trying to sell a book that teaches you how to deal with those issues when they come up. I would add that I urge people not to by products sold on a basis of fear, but also on the basis of power over others instead of power over yourself.

I imagine that any of the pros here could come up with a dozen other causes for potential difficulties. But some of the ones listed are entirely bizarre to the point of being stupid. And the real question is not are they possible, but are they probable? It's sort of like owning a Macintosh computer. Is it possible to get all sorts of viruses and malware? Absolutely. Is it probable that you'll get attacked? At this time, the answer is absolutely not.

I prefer Ronning's solution. Be aware of the potential for problems and then act to prevent the problem before it reaches a problem stage. Cut off a potential problem before it becomes a problem. If you can't tell that someone's having difficulties that could lead to mental, physical, emotional or even spiritual problems before it manifest as a problem, perhaps you should reconsider your profession.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It maybe is a pitch. But Im not really commenting on the product or the pitch itself but a few of the points and stories. I know these things can happen. I know through talking with other hypnotists and agents over the years. I know from my own personal experience.

Im not saying I agree with everything he said. But I don't disagree with all of it either.

What I am saying to newbies who buy products is even with good training and even with experience there are risks with stage hypnosis. Don't believe the 'pitches' that tell you otherwise.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
It would be interesting to see the figures of how many people have been injured by a hypnotist, compared to those who were injured physically or emotionally by, oh I dunno':
electricians
plumbers
lawyers (I know I have)
bank managers
car salesmen (haven't we all?)
estate agents
insurance salesmen (want me to go on?)
accountants
chefs
dentists (help me here I don't have a lot to go on)
builders
chiropractors (I'm running out)
financial advisors (maybe that's the same as insurance salesmen, ok forget that)

... have to stop now. Going back to see my doctor today who gave me a wrong presciption last week for dandruff and now I've got pain in all my joints and green boils on my arse. But hey, the guy's a professional with a PHD, mistakes sometimes happen! And anyway the ointment in the prescription only costs £30 and it does have a nice taste.

Yeah, I think he had a book to sell.
bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>It would be interesting to see the figures of how many people have been injured by a hypnotist, compared to those who were injured physically or emotionally by, oh I dunno':
electricians <<<<

Why would that be interesting you don't actually do any of the above professions Bobser?

If I were an electrician I would want to know about risks involved with electricity rather than find out later for myself. In fact it would be responsable as a professional for the wellbeing of my clients/customers as well as my own protection. But this I believe is not a forum for electricians. It seems its more of a forum for hypnotic ostriches who love the taste of sand since they stick their head in it so frequently.

Your post is just daft.

This a place for selling products more than anything.

No doubt the arguments will flow about how 100% safe hypnosis is. And how difficult it is to prove legally so its not a problem anyway.

NO wonder in many places it has such a bad image it seems the majority don't really care about those they hypnotise. Its almost like they are just props to make them look good and make them money.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
..... to be honest I didn't really understand too much of that. Is it because I actually AM daft? Or could it be that someone isn't thinking again?
Fast fingers, slow synapses. Same problem with Billy The Kid.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There are risks with getting out of bed in the morning for pity sake.You simply prepare yourself as best you can, and take decisive responsible action IF something does happen.

There are risks with people falling on stairs when they come to the stage to help you with a magic trick. No real difference. We have people more in our care and control so our responsability level is a bit higher.

I agree, prevention is the best medicine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Glenmorangie is actually recognised as the best medicine. Immediately followed by prevention.