The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Balloon gloves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I find that I'm messing up my hands a lot when I twist a lot of balloons. Sometimes my skin gets to dry and get my skin pulled back. I put on some lotion but it is no use. I really want to work with gloves,but don't know if it would work. I mean leather gloves can give me a grip,but when I tie the balloon with gloves will the balloons friction pull against the glove?

Anyhow can you guys please suggest some types of gloves I can use, and where I can purchase some?

Thanks in advance
ade
View Profile
New user
Singapore
85 Posts

Profile of ade
I've tried working with gloves before, though I don't use them any longer now. Try using gloves that are 'fingerless'. For the matter of tying the balloons, the fingerless gloves work well, while still protecting your hands.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
I've noticed this same problem. What I've started doing is bringing along lotion and a damp wash cloth. I just pack them in the cooler with the balloons. When I get a break I wipe my hands down with the wash cloth and use some lotion.

It usually only lasts for about five minutes before I have people in line again, but hey, it's better than nothing.

You might try something a little more oily on your hands several hours before you twist so that there is a barrier in your skin so to speak. Maybe try shae butter or something like that.

My concern is that I'm going to use a lotion on my hands that reacts with the balloons and causes them to pop. So far that hasn't happened though.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I have the same problem, which is why I only do balloons when magic isn't enough. I think you have to study the digits after to see which are being hurt the most. Try to watch which ones get rubbed against the rubber when you tie the knots. See if a different finger can be used to for instance; to push the nozzle through. This way you can start off using the awkward fingers while your hands are strong and finish with your better fingers when you will need them the most towards the end of the gig. Spread the pain.