The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Cutting Plastic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I thought I would post my experience trying to cut a hole in a plastic box. This box was a makeup box with a metal frame and plastic sides. I ruined three of them trying different methods to cut the plastic. I tried drilling multiple holes; I tried using a cutting knife; I tried using a jigsaw. With each method I cracked the plastic. Then it hit me - I could melt the plastic with a woodburning kit (or sodering iron). I did this and the fourth time is a charm. FYI - If you ever need to cut a hole in plastic, and want a smooth edge - consider melting the material.

If anyone else has experience to share about cutting plastic, please add your thoughts...
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I use a soldering iron
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Be careful of the fumes. If you do it infrequently, it may only give you a raging headache, but some types of plastic can emit rather toxic fumes when melted.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Of course it depends on the plastic, I am mostly familiar with styrene as that's what we use in model and prop building a lot.

Scribing is a very good way. With a ruler as a guide you scribe the plastic bit at a time-you don't have to cut all the way thru as you can snap it along the scribed seam easily. You could use a screwdriver as a scriber, though there are spesific tools for that.

For round holes, I mostly use a handy tool called Circlescribe, which you can check out here:

http://www.circlescribe.co.uk/First%20page.htm

It is very handy on styrene, I often work with 1/32, 1/16+ and 3/32+ thick styrene. Same method here, scribing bit by bit by bit.
Sent from my Typewriter