The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: A thought or two (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
It has been suggested that perhaps a forum for the discussion of magic publishing be included in the Cafe, I agree. Smile

From trick creation, to marketing, it's no easy task, believe me. It is hoped that this forum will become an invaluable resource for anyone attempting the risky and sometimes costly pursuit of bringing a trick, book, dvd, or other such item before the world of magic. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
This is an area which I am very interested in.
I compiled and published one book (the Card Mondor autobiography) on CD Rom, will have an ebook of tricks published shortly by someone else and am spending much of my non-magic time promoting and selling electronic books on a variety of subjects.
I would be happy to provide any information I can after I have had another Smile
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4712 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I only have one book (so far) to my name, "The Collected OORT" (which I'm the editor and primary contributor). And I also publish a quarterly newsletter for professional cold-readers.

While I don't pretend to be an expert by any means, I would certainly be happy to share my experiences in the field of self-publishing.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Banachek and I have a partnership called "Magic Inspirations" since 1989. Together we have published Psychokinetic Time, Psychological Subtleties, and Peek Performances among others (audio/video tapes and CD's, too). I'd be glad to offer suggestions to whomever asks and for whatever my comments might be worth.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
I'm very excited about the recent addition of this section to the site. Thanks, Steve and everybody.

Now, I just need some ideas that don't suck!

Smile

Chris
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
My pleasure Chris! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Good, I've been hoping for this.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
My Gosh!
Scott where did you find Keller's imps? Smile
Jason
massimo
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of massimo
There is a new magic inventor/maker here in town. He has ask the age old question: How do I protect my inventions and what do I do if I get ripped??

Any help out there
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I am glad. I need information on publishing my upcomming book!
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
chucklmiller
View Profile
New user
South Carolina, USA
13 Posts

Profile of chucklmiller
Advice needed!!

I have created a gimmick that allows the mentalist to perform the perfect book test. I have made only 2 of these, and use them exclusively in all of my shows. The reaction it gets is amazing because the effect is simple and flawless.

Question is, how do I make it available commercially?

Any thoughts from experienced inventors?
chucklmiller
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I am the owner of Leaping Lizards Magic publishing, and we publish both magic and mainstream new age/ self help books.

I'm happy to offer any info advice I can.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
A most valued thread. Many Thanks Steve.
Fantastic idea!

My advice to anyone bringing forward any effect to the magic world...

*Make sure it is protected in every possible way.
*Make sure you are comfortable finally letting one of your babies go.
*If ever in any joint venture and contracted with another party, be very sure you are happy with the terms and conditions of the agreement before signing and moving forward.

Finally,
Be at peace with everything, every step of the way.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Thank You all for this forum, I hope it will help many. (mainly me ;>)
I have recently created a gimmick for use with the M5 or PK Pro, the driving force behind this gimmick is the fact that I do walk around and street magic, and during the summer months with short sleeves and no table it is very difficult to utilize my M5. I tried many different things to hide my gimmick- cigarette pack (not very PC now), hollow deck, etc... of all the things I tried the hollow deck held the most possibilities. The only problem was in order to do a card trick I had to switch decks. So I developed my own gimmick to solve this, You start clean, pull out a deck and causally show both sides, then take the cards out and perform any card trick you like.... at any time set the cards down and perform your favorite PK effect. To clean up you simply put the cards back into the case and pocket the case. It really is that clean. Now that I have developed this I don't know who to talk to about marketing it.??? I believe this would do best as a DVD teaching how to make it and some suggested routines. (similar to The Art Of Card Splitting) It is easier to make than splitting a card and does wear out so I feel this would be the best and most fair way to market it.

Sorry I got a little long winded there.

Who would you suggest I present this gimmick to for marketing, Or even just general advise from a Pro who uses the M5 in his or her act?

I know this has been a L O N G post so I wont torture you any more, Any advise would be greatly apreciated.

Sincerly,

Gerald Dupuy
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I'm also at the "Let's get this to market" stage and I think a forum discussing how to go about it, how to protect yourself is just what a lot of use could do with.
supra97
View Profile
New user
nj
37 Posts

Profile of supra97
Anyone doing anything,, I have an idea also, don't kknow what to do
supra
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
I've been designing a bunch of t-shirts for magicians. One set is for the "card-revealed-printed-on-the-shirt" routine, with lots of interesting characters. Another set is magician humor. The third set is generic magic images. I'd like to contact dealers about them, but first I'd like to know more about how these types of items generally sell. Anybody have experience with shirts?

Thanks!
mehdielamri
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mehdielamri
@MrGreggy , hum I like your idea ...Smile
Women are magical ... so I became a magician.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I have published two books under the publishing name of Magic Mouse Publications: Timeline of Magic and Theatrical Magic, volumes I & II of Magical Renaissance: A Modern Wizard's Grimoire. Both were published under my stage name, Malaki Dracwin, as the author and author.

The main problem I am facing is that someone thought it would be a great idea to republish my book on the internet. These books are only supposed to be available through me (Magic Mouse or Wizard's Workshoppe) or Steven's Magic Emporium. What method would you use to deal with this situation? I do not mind if they publish a taste of the book, but to offer the entire text for free, without a single reference to the author's name goes beyond the pale. I have managed to get two sites to stop displaying my book, when they decided to not publish my name attached to it. It took 10 years to research and write the Timeline of Magic. I'd hate to not benefit from all of that work, or worse, someone ELSE benefit from MY work.

Short of hiring an attorney, what would you suggest?
AliAsfour96
View Profile
New user
Lebanon
7 Posts

Profile of AliAsfour96
Hello
I have a new effect been working on it for a long time and I really want to know something concerning selling and advertising and pricing the download and also who should I go for and what rules should I take into consideration.
Thank you in advance wish I get some help here