The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Looking for an old gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Peabody
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
25 Posts

Profile of Peabody
30 years ago, I did a trick that had me vanish a marked coin to have it re-appear inside a bag that was inside a match box. The gimmick was, what I call, a coin slide. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, but does anyone know where I can find this "slide"?
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Do a search on ebay for this name, you will find what you are looking for. We can't post ebay addy's here.

Magic Match Box Trick Nested Boxes Signed Coin Bag NEW
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey I had that trick when I was kid. Smile One of the first I could afford to by from Lou Tannen's Magic Shop in NYC. Think it was called The Magic Coin Box or something like that. Seemingly it doesn't cost much even today and it's much easier to just get the trick again than to find the gimmick anywhere.

Check here: http://www.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6416
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Make one out of tin sheet metal. Maybe 1.00$ at the hardware store.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yep, you could make it I suppose but if you buy the trick for just $3.95 then you'll have that great trick again, plus you could use the gimmick for other effects as you like. It will then be perfectly made and have dual purpose for less than $4 bucks and no labor necessary.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Look up rabbit box.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Really, making one isn't that hard and much better. The quality of the sheet metal they make them out of now is so thin that it bends too easy and you find your coin hanging in it a lot. Go to a hardware store, get some tin snips, some sheet metal, and a pair of pliars and make your own. You could probably take a picture of one to a sheet metal shop (heat and air condition place) and they could make one for you. Yes it would cost a bit more, but with thicker guage metal that won't bend in your pocket you will find it much more useable.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Adams sells one of these and they are very inexpensive. However, the slide is PLASTIC and doesn't work very well. Father may have given the best advice - have one made. I remember the old tin ones worked very well. That's progress!

Jim
Peabody
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
25 Posts

Profile of Peabody
Thanks guys!
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Oh, yeah - the new ones have a little bag that the coin ends up in - and guess what - it's PLASTIC! It doesn't want to close when the coin is inside. The old one had a little cloth bag with a rubber band that snapped it shut. Like I said, progress! Everything gets crappier and more expensive.

Jim
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
This trick became very popular in the early '70's after Doug Henning performed it on TV.
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I've seen on just coin slides on EBay in quarter and half dollar size. Also in my old coin books the old timers used to get cigar tubes and cut and flatten them to make coin slides. A good way to go for a quick fix until the ones you order come in.

Hope this helps.

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Sorry, I just re checked and the coin slides I saw on ebay are basiclay droppers i.e. they hold out coins u(three or four) and with pressure it releases the coins into your cupped hand. Might be a great holdout I'll have to buy one and find out. Also this may be something you can modify into a regular coin slide.

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Any magic shop sells this trick for kids and they call the effect something like "plates". It's a very good effect and I use it with a purse.

In Foolers Doolers Daryl has an effect where he switches the marked coin for a rgular one and visibly places the regular coin in a glass to prepare for the marked coin reappearing into a folded hank. It would be nice using this type of slide to start like Daryl and when the switched coin is in the glass take out a purse with a loose bag and a rubber band be shown, switch purses Al Goshman's way using the slide to put the coin in the other purse, table the purse with the coin in the little cloth bag shut by the rubber band. Then vanish the coin and let it reappear in the bag in the purse.

This is only one possible take, and Ocha is right, this is a very strong effect which has been overlooked for having been made a kid's trick after beeing pitched by street and fair magicians. Changing the look of the routines would just reinstate it in its deserved glamor.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Peabody
Thinking about your question on this thread, it occurred to me that there is a new gimmick called "Tri Nesting Wallets" which would beautifully combine with the effect you are talking about.

A coin is borrowed marked and placed in a glass for safe keeping. The performer's wallet is placed on to the table as a guaranty for the return of the coin. The marked coin vanishes but inside the wallet containing a smaller wallet, itself containing an even smaller one and, there, is a little cloth bag tightly shut by a rubber band with the marked coin inside.

"Tri Nesting Wallets" is sold by many magic shop and on the net you can find it at http://magicauthority.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Anyone ever done the coin in ball of wool?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-04-13 01:33, wsduncan wrote:

not quite the easiest version for walkaround or table hopping.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:

I liked the idea and tried it a few times: the audience understand that the coin will probably end up being in the ball of wool and therefore the unwinding seems far too long for modern audiences... or I didn't use the proper script.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1115 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:

Take a look at Michal Baker's online shop where he handmakes just about all of his excellent quality products. I purchased "Mysterious wooden Coin Box" from him and it is TOP quality and very unique. I don't have Coin In Wool, but want one. E-mail or call Michael; he is always a pleasure to work with.

Link to his product page: http://www.themagiccompany.com/cat_main.html

Scroll down about 3/4 the way and you will see 2 versions he offers. He's out of the half dollar size right now. Remember; he hand makes all his products so they are not mass produced...

Also, here is an excellent review: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Mike
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4702 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
In the new set of DVD's from the New York Coin Magic Seminar group, there are two NEW presentations for the Nest of Boxes (the brass version), from myself and David Roth. Each incorporates some clever presentational ideas. My own routine was the hit of my recent Italian tour, and can be found in volume 8. David's routine is in volume 9.
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com