The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Newbie needs help with "pitch" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zed
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Zed
Greetings,

I'm going to be doing demos of a kitchen gadgets (still picking out the "one" to sell). But have not been able to find much information on being a pitchman, patterer, street vendor or whatever it is called. I know this is the Magic Café, but it has been the closest thing I can find that is somewhat similar to what I am going to do.

I thought I would start out at the flea markets and then after my pitch is polished then branch out to other shows.....

Any and all help and suggestions in the way of Books, DVD's, ideas or websites or whatever else might help me will be greatly appreiacted. And even what not to get would be helpful also...

Thanks for your help,
Have read thread after thread.... having a Zibit does sound interesting.
C'ya,
Zed
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Zed,

Get in touch with U.S.Jesco

http://www.usjesco.com/Default.aspx?Aspx......upport=1

They wholesale pitch items as well.If I were you I would get a job pitching for U.S. Jesco for a year or so and learn the business.

Call Jay Spalding who owns U.S.Jesco,they always need another pitchman.

Hope this helped.
Don
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd take a hard look at Don's website above. He's too shy to mention it himself, but you'll find everything you need there. He's a master at the pitch!

Mark. Smile
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2735 Posts

Profile of sethb
There is also a new DVD set out that covers all sorts of pitches, from knives to Magic Worms, click HERE for more info.

I have not seen it, so I have no idea what's in it or whether it's worth it. But it comes from Whit Haydn and the School for Scoundrels, which usually issues topflight stuff. And for $35, you couldn't go too far wrong. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I have it! I'll post a review here when I get the time to watch it.. later in the week, most likely. Like you say, Seth, for $35.00, how wrong can you go...? and I hear Don's on it.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Zed
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Zed
Thanks Don, Mark, Seth and DCB,

Just finished ordering the DVD set you mentioned Seth, thank you.

Zed
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2735 Posts

Profile of sethb
My favorite kitchen pitches were the Ginzu knives and the Vita-Mix blender.

The guy that pitched the knives looked like he graduated from culinary school, he was so graceful slicing and dicing everything -- even when he was sawing a brick in half with the darn knife. And I used to stand on the boardwalk for hours watching the Vita-Mix guy throw whole fruits, vegetables, raw eggs and ice into that blender while he explained all the benefits of the blender.

He had a chef's mirror at a 45-degree angle above the blender so you could see inside and watch what was happening. He made what I guess would now be called a "vegetable smoothie." Everyone got a sample (about an ounce in a tiny paper cup), and that was the kicker that kept eveyone watching -- they wanted to see what this mishmosh actually tasted like! If you wanted to learn how to attract, hold and turn a tip, this was artistry in action, all done with a couple of celery stalks!

Lord only knows what this stainless-steel thing cost, but it sure looked like it was indestructible and could not only crush ice, but could also probably mix concrete. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Zed
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Zed
Greetings All,

Has anyone viewed/reviewed the movie "Pitch People" here is the imdb link .

I'm the newibe, wanting to develop a pitch to demo kitchen gadgets. I've got one about four and a half minutes long I'm working on. I know mine will work, but from what I have read here, everyone here does it so much better.

I think I understand what building a tip is. I can relate to building a tip if busking or doing magic or selling magic items on the street. Also, for getting a crowd for a Jam Auction.

I've been doing lots of reading here and online. In other words, I think tip building (from my limited knowledge) it great for performers or magic salesmen.

Since I am starting off at the flea market, thus far I'm unable to picture myself (I do have a small suitcase with close up magic in it (( with an original "scotch and soda" using a solid silver Kennedy half dollar)).

Anyway, I just don't understand how I can use building a tip (from my limited knowledge using magic, slight of hand etc), to get a small crowd assembled and then transition into a demo chopping up cabbage or whatever. It just seems inconstant. I don't have the experience yet or possibly I could answer my own questions. I'm waiting on product and paperwork to get started.

I've downloaded the youtube ShamWow video's and the Slap Chop and a few others demoing kitchen gadgets. Planning on stopping by girlfriends to watch the demos on QVC and HSN. I guess I'm confused if I used a magic theme to get the crowd and then walked over to my demo table full of vegetables. I guess what I am saying is I've never seen it done and being the newbie wondering what I would do with a good crowd. Right now doing the flea markets. I use humor and questions to lure part of them into my area, but since each person is looking at something different. I'm answering 3 or 4 questions at time as they ask or pick something up.

OH, to have only one product with a possible slum freebie either with or without a purchase...

C'ya,
Zed

Thanks in advance for your help, those of you that have a few minutes to point me in the right direction. The DVD's I ordered last week should be here tomorrow. I'm just attempeting to shorten the learning curve with your help...
Jbspalding
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Jbspalding
If you separate the pitch of the product from the fundamentals of a pitching you will more easily understand. There are many ways to build a tip depending on where and what you are selling. For a flea market, trade show, or fair the best solution is to call in a single person this can be seen on any carnival midway game and in many malls think dead sea facial products, and mini soaps, with kitchen gadgets this is effective because when you (button hole) one person they are somewhat interested in what you have and with proper structure you should build some obligation through the pitch. As other people see an interested person watching their interest will be peaked and after they (nose in) then you start to glance their way a moment later and presto they are the start of your tip. You will find it much eaisier to add people when you already have people. This is the reason for (schills or sticks) in the old days. sometimes called fronting the joint. The next fundamental is to keep the tip.. To achieve this it must be as important if not more important to keep the tip than selling them. Strange as it seems... Considering it way easier to build a large tip if you don't have to start from scratch. And as you will shortly learn if you havent already it may take 15 min to stop the first solid person then you quickly see how it is so valueable to roll you tip over! Meaning after you make your turn.(comercial) that you IMEADEATLY worry most about starting another pitch. If things are working as they should half or more of the tip were not there at the beginning. (Dont milk the tip)
Good luck hope this helps.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Zed (if you are still around from 2009),

Don's suggestion is gold and now J Spalding from Jesco also posted. Get a job with them...they are real pitch people and know what they are doing. I can't imagine a better way to learn.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I see that the link given for the Senior Pitchmen's Reunion goes to Hank Lee. He has had some challenges lately.

Go to the publisher for this one...

http://www.chefanton.com/ScoundrelsStore/street_magic.htm

It is a bit down the page.
Jay Braggart
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
25 Posts

Profile of Jay Braggart
I work for US Jesco and I love it.