The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Fabric Tape for Hinges (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I am needing your help once again. I am needing some tape to hinge some props. I own quite a few props that hinge with this black, fabric-like tape, but I do not know exactly where to get it.

Is there an industry standard for this type of tape used to hinge smaller magic props? If so, where do you get it? I have always used metal hinges in the past, so this is new for me. I would sure appreciate a source and any advice you may have for me.

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I don't use tape but there is a new "gorilla" tape at the box store that might work. Sometimes bookbinding tape is used too.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Jay. Bookbinding tape! As soon as I read that my memory kicked in. I will do a google search and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Gaffer's tape.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Michael. I am having trouble finding the bookbinding tape. I will google "gaffer's tape".
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Also look under library materials supplier.

Gaffer's tape also comes in a variety of colors which might be helpful.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Richard. Maybe library suppliers will be the ticket for the bookbinding tape!

I found a source for gaffer's tape. It mentions that it sticks but leaves no residue. I am wondering if the adhesive is strong and durable enough for my needs?
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ooh....I didn't see that link Michael. I'll check it.
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow....I clicked it, and that's where I was at! That's the source I had just found!

They have a lot of tapes. I'm reading about them now. The Duve Pro tape sounds promising. It is designed to look and feel like Duvetyne fabric. This is apparently felt-like, so I may be interested in this type of tape. It is adhesive backed, but I'm not sure how much "stick" it has. It's mainly used for drapery repairs. Hmm....

Has anyone tried this?
Mister Mystery
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
As for the Gorilla tape Jay refers to, it is wicked strong! I made a tri fold practice mirror a few years ago and it has held up perfectly!

I do recall seeing actual cloth hinges somewhere but suffering "CRS" has taken it's toll once again!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Mickey. From the description of the gaffer's tape I am afraid it will not stick well enough. It is designed to peel away easily and leave no residue. I could be thinking wrong, but this leads me to believe that the adhesive may not stick well or hold up long enough.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've not had a problem getting gaffer's tape to stick to most anything I've used it on. I guess it all depends on exactly what your project is, and how much torque is put on the hinges.

I think the residue transfer is more referring to shorter term use. I have had some on certain projects for very extended times, and in trying to lift the tape later (years later), found there was some residual gunk left behind.

The expected use for it is securing cables and various other riggings in filming studios, where it is short term use. On the contrary, use duct tape in a similar warm room and you have a real mess going.

What I like most about gaffer's tape is that it is non-reflective. You can even paint on it.

Oh, Mickey... I can't remember what CRS stands for! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Michael,

I obviously don't know when yours began but mine started around...... uhhhh.... ummm....lemme see..............
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When mine started? I wrote it down somewhere... where did I put that? When mine started?? When my what started?

Mickey, while I am posting this, I notice that you have 2809 posts. I used to live in a house with 2809 as an address. I have 2 friends who also live in houses with 2809 as an address for their streets (one here, one in Peoria), and a third who's business (here) is also at a 2809 address.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
155 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Oh, man... I feel like a dope! I buy from this company, and didn't even know they carried these items!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow....me too! Michael just gave me their link the other day as a source for some velour paper. Thanks!
Mister Mystery
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Gotta just love the internet!
I knew I'd seen those hinges somewhere!
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
You could always go with the traditional way of using very thin leather.
If you treat the leather regularly to keep it supple it will last a lifetime.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!