The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Chrome plating the edge of a coin ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
882 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Anyone have an idea of how I can chrome plate the edge of a coin. Just the minor edge not the complete rim. Thanks in advance. PT I have checked with Chrome shops but they will only do large stuff.
Just try that’s all you can do , never give up .
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Forget chrome plating. Do a Google search for "silver plating" and "nickel plating" for two processes you can actually do (on a small scale) at home.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
Ok, very interesting but I have to ask why?...
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 19:22, TWOCAN wrote:
Anyone have an idea of how I can chrome plate the edge of a coin. Just the minor edge not the complete rim. Thanks in advance. PT I have checked with Chrome shops but they will only do large stuff.

Try this site
http://www.caswellplating.com/movies/PNP-SVideo.mov
You can silver plate, nickel plate or chrome plate small surfaces.

I've been using this to copper plate (cleaned) old silver coins for a Spellbound routine. Changing the matter is more "magical" than switching coins. I've done a copper silver coin for Tommy Wonder's Counterfeit coin: it very substantially increases the credibility of the routine.
I've also made a King Midas routine with a gold coin, a brass coin turning to gold a copper coin doing the same and a silver one as well. I had too much problems finding old double facers and used silver double facers or nickel double facers and plated them in different metals.

Caswell is easy to use and very adapted to gaff coins. Your English penny with one silver plated side will look great before it gets switched into a fully silver plated penny. You then own a super triple set (copper, C/S, Silver) and yes I've plated shells as well. Plating opens new horizons.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
882 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Thank you Lawrence. I will do it...Paul T
Just try that’s all you can do , never give up .