The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: JB Magic, Mark Mason, and Bob Swaddling... Thank You! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Over a month ago I decided it was time to put into action some coins I have been planning for quite some time. What I was looking for were custom Benjamin Franklin halves. 1 copper/silver, 1 expanded shell (head), 1 gravity flipper, and 1 shimmed. Once I knew exactly what I needed, I decided to start contacting the "coin masters". I wrote an email to Schoocraft, Lassen, JB magic, Johnson, and Tango. Just to see what all of my options were. To my surprise Mark Mason from JB Magic was the first to respond to my email (in under 24 hours on the weekend!). But before I jumped the gun I waited until I had the other quotes as well. Schoolcraft, Johnson and Tango did write me back and in good time (thank you guys), I guess Lassen really didn't need my money. However, in the end Mark had the best response time AND the best price. He was great to work with and we got everything worked out via emails and phone calls. Before I knew it, my coins were off to the UK and in the very capable hands of Bob Swaddling. Granted, all the shipping of coins from me to Florida to the UK back to Florida and to me, took some time but was worth it! Mark was always quick to keep me up to date on my order, and didn't process the payment until everything was created and sent (I really appreciated that). Also, sometimes hick-ups happen. I got a call from Mark in the middle of this saying "Bob misunderstood my instructions, the extra coins you sent were also turned into expanded shells (tail side) I know you didn't request this, so I will personally go to the coin shop and buy matching replacement coins for you, my apologies. However, if for some reason you want these shells, I will sell them for the cost that Bob charged me" (which was a freaking steal btw). Needless to say, I took the extra AMAZING shells and skipped all the way home!

Well, my coins arrived yesterday afternoon. I opened the package to find each coin in a clear foam lined coin box (very very safe). The shells are perfect, and will fit in my z-box with ease. They fit on every Franklin half I have and almost cover it completely. The copper silver is beautiful and at the same time probably the least impressive piece. That's not to say it isn't of the highest quality, just all the coins were amazing. The shimmed coin is flawless! I'm almost afraid I'll mix it up with my normal halves! It is GREAT. Then the headliner of the show... the Bob Swaddling gravity flipper! This coin is flawless. The first time I saw it, I over looked it. The cut is extremely invisible due to the back design of the Franklin half and Bob's expert craftsmanship. Falls open freely and silently, lies perfectly flat, and when you toss it into your other hand and it closes... it does so completely and almost eerily silent. Matched with an expanded shell, this is GREAT!

So this is my personal review of not only the coins, but of JB Magic as a company. You are all great and in all the time I have spent with dealers and companies, you guys have been the absolute BEST to work with!

Mark, he has the BEST customer service and has been a great help. He bent over backwards for me, and didn't over charge me a cent. Included shipping, kept me updated, and even made up for mistakes that were made.

Mark, Thanks!

Bob, professional work, great turn around time, and a lot of creative genius when working on a custom project they don't even manufacture.

Bob, Thanks!

I highly highly highly suggest them for any custom work your brain is thinking up. I guess I'm turning into a fan-boy and better stop. But they were really that great.
-DJ
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Mark Mason has always given me first class customer service, including letting me trade up from 1921 new Morgans to soft Morgans on my Come Fly With Me set. He's a great guy!

Sam
Sammy J. Teague
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I met Mark and his bride at WMS and found them both to be quite charming! I bought a few items from them including CFWM and I agree the quality of the coins is first class! I won't hesitate to do business with them again!

Mick
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
I quite agree and wrote of it before.

Last Month, Mark set me up with an outstanding Liberty Flipper with Expanded shell and made sure to give me the discount that I missed. He was always quick to responsd to my emails prior to the order and as DJ said the price was great.
JazzyMatt
View Profile
New user
Texas
24 Posts

Profile of JazzyMatt
I agree with all this as well, I just bougt liberty grav flipper,shell, copper/silver and 2 chinese coins all beautifull, fairly priced and Mark went out of his way for great customer service. He has my business from now on.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I overheard a conversation at the WMS between Mark and Auke Van Dokkum which leads me to suspect that Mark is subletting the making of his coins to Auke Van Dokkum from Holland.

I cannot be positive but it would make a lot of sense.

Auke Van Dokkum has done coins for several other dealers and he does a great work. My point is just that if Auke has a role in Mark's great supply Auke should be mentioned amongst the great craftsmen.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I can't speak to that. However, I do know that Bob personally made this set and that Auke didn't work on this particular project.

-DJ