The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Material to line inside of box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I am needing some very thin, black, velour-like cloth material to line some boxes with. I normally use black velvet but it is too thick for this application. The velvet is a pain to install with the spray fabric glue too.

The kind used by Fairchild Magic (on their drawer box anyway) would be perfect. It has a very short nap so it is really thin. I believe it is sticky-backed too, but I'm not certain about that.

Does anyone have a source for this cloth, or something similar?

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This is what I use, but it is not self adhesive. I use 3M 77 spray:

http://www.misterart.com/g1173/National-......heet.htm

You can also Google self-adhesive velour paper and you'll find a lot of sources.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Michael!!!
Mister Mystery
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Flocking!
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Fairchild used to sell the stuff he uses. Check with him. Also they had it on the auction site. I believe that was Joe's also.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Peel and stick is the way to go. Easy to cut and trim and you can dry fit all the pieces.

Gimpy
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks guys. Michael has been most gracious and helped me out a bunch! He's got me going in the right direction....I think. I found a good source, but it is a little pricey. I may check around a bit and see what else I can find.

Ray, I will check Fairchild's website and see. I did not know they sold it.

Gimpy, yes I'd prefer self-adhesive if it is durable and will hold up to the rigors of the road. I usually use the 3M fabric spray to mount the triple velvet, but I need something thinner this time. I'm sure self-adhesive will be much easier to install.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm still searching for the best source(s) so if anyone has any links I will gladly check them out.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I'm glad you found some possible resources for your project, but I'm curious why you couldn't just use paint?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Chance,

I have owned many magic boxes throughout my career. Many came with painted interiors, and some have had interiors lined (or partially lined) with flocking or velvet. There is no comparison to the velvet or flocking vs. the paint. Black velvet absorbs light, and is so much more deceptive. It is also more quite, and in some cases it makes operation smoother.

I have relined many of my boxes and it is always an improvement....sometimes a remarkable one! The last bunny box I got had a painted interior (flat black) and it was so visible that I could not even use it. Maybe I set my standards too high, or sometimes run when I'm not being chased, but I want my props and my show to be the best it can be.

One prop I am planning on restoring does not really need the velvet so much for the BA principle, (although it should make it better) but I want it so the paint will be protected and it should make it work more smoothly and quietly.

Regan
Mister Mystery
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
If you ever get a chance watch someone make a speaker box for a car. I have seen them sold but when I saw someone make one at circuit city's roadshop it was really informative and you learn how they make it lok flawless so no seams show and it looks like a perfect continuous peice of carpet that is not cut.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Chris. Good advice! The proprs I am doing right now should not have to be "seamed" except in corners where it should not show. Thanks to Michael Baker I found a source that has it in sheets large enough to accomplish this.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I have found Michael to be very helpful if you ask the right questions Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Drew, you are right about him being helpful!
Mister Mystery