The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Vanishing a Spectator, Actually... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
An idea came up at a recent magic meeting, how it would be great to vanish a spectator from the audience and actually give him the impression, that he is invisible. So he has actually vanished. I've heard some of this idea from others, and some is what I have added, and it has actually all gotten jumbled, so here goes.

What if you could invite two specs. on stage, tell them that they will vanish, even have them sign a paper, really build it up. Then sit them in chairs facing the audience, then cover them with sheets. While the sheets are on them get spectator 1 out and motion what is going on, the audience should catch on, replace the sheet, then say, cause them to "vanish", however, and pull the sheets off and say they are gone.

The audience will be qued to gasp and act as if they cannot see the person, giving the spectator the feeling that he has vanished.

Maybe even ask "both" spectators to stand and pick up a silk on the table, while spectator 2 moves his silk, move the silk on Spectator 1's table via the dancing silk. Replace sheets over them, say the magic words for the reappearance, and have Spectator 1, move back under the silk, and have the reappearance.

This is just an idea, I know the chance of having a rational adult believe he is invisible, is next to none, so I thought how about using a kid. Then I thought, what about using a stooge for that spectator, one that would act like he believes it, this will give the audience as good of a show as anything! These are just ideas I wanted input on.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
That is the exact same effect Paul Harris describes in Art of Astonishment vol 3 called "Nowhere Man."
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Murdock
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Murdock
No, it isn't.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
No it isn't the exact effect. It is similar to that in it's beginning, and also similar to a manuscript titled Vanishings released by Eric DeMotte in England in the 1950's. But both of these variations were only ideas never put in motion, I've added different things to it, hoping to make it somewhat useable. It's just something I'm thinking about using. It is not however "exactly the same" as any effect. This idea is not new, of course, but few are.

Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
That does sound like the one out of AOA. In the beginning you quoted the book.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
How is this any different then the "Nowhere Man?" I really don't think the second spectator is any better, Paul Harris' version was really cool because the real spectator couldn't see the other one....

Just a Thought,

Lee
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
It's different than Paul Harris' in several aspects. Actually Paul did use two spectators, and I believe he allowed them to see the other one while they sign the papers and then not see after the vanish, so in that aspect there's no difference. In this one the real spec. can't see the other one either, because he's not there. When the first spec picks up a hankerchief on the table the other table has the dancing hankerchief on it. It dances around on it's own, further confuses the spectator, and also adding a magical element for the audience as well, this addition is original. However, this idea hasn't been used on stage, even after the manuscript by DeMotte.

Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
It kind of sounds like you used Paul Harris's routine for this plot, made a few minor changes, and then called it yours.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Nowhere Man wasn't a real routine. It was just a magic dare. If you decide to try this, let me know how it goes. I performed a 100% stooged version of Nowhere Man a little while back, that went over pretty well. I vanished my assistant, and a stooged audience member who pretended like they didn't know what was happening. (I used a kid too) I'm not sure if I like the silk part of the idea or not. Not that it wouldn't look cool, but since the audience is in on it, they would know that the silk is not really being moved by an invisible person, so the magic would be a little too exposed there.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Sorry, but this is still exactly the Paul Harris idea. You haven't changed anything. He even mentions adding some 'invisible man' moments in the book (ala dancing hank, although I don't think that's as good an idea as the liquid vanishing from the glass). But its a cool idea, nonetheless.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.