The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Another shell question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
I recently bought an English penny to use with my Johnson shell. The penny does not fit under the shell. When reviewing Dan Harlans' Rising Dough (on WGM-Expanded Shells) He said you may have to look around for a penny that fits. ?????????? Aren't they all the same size? Are different years slightly different sizes? Is there another (contrasting) coin like a Chinese coin that will fit?
-Chris
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
An english penny is slightly larger than a half dollar-and usually needs to be turned down to fit under an expanded half. An older worn penny might fit.

some types of "chinese" coins are smaller than a half, I think Sterling coins are.
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
It may be that the QC of English Pennies may be the samee as Half Dollars. Not that good!

When I got my Kennedy S***l, I got 100 half dollars from the bank to "fit" them and it turns out that only 20 out of 100 actually fit
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
My shell fits perfectly over all ten half dollars I have so I don't think that is the problem.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
All English Pennies are just a bit larger then half dollars... I do not think they will fit in a half dollar shell. Don't do it or you will ruin your shell.

Thanks

Shawn
Shawn.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Shawn is correct.
You need to contact one of the Coin guys to make an english penny that will fit a half dollar shell.
Johnson charges $25 for it I think ..check their site.
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
Yup, the penny just barely doesn't fit but on that scale a millimeter might as well be a mile. Oh well, I'm only out like $1.50. I'm thinking of painting a HD. It may add some thickness but it can't hurt to try. I'll also check Johnsons site
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It's a no brainer. Take a small grain nail file and file progressively your penny's edge keeping it round. It's going to take you less than ten minutes. The shining copper aspect of the edge will disappear over a very short time.

And you know what? you can do this with your C/S coin as well, and it will fit snuggly into your [ ...!
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
I carefully and slowly filed mine down to fit. It works great as long as you are not in a hurry and take your time. I put some liver of sulfur on the edge with a sponge to darken it.
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
I carefully and slowly filed mine down to fit. It works great as long as you are not in a hurry and take your time. I put some liver of sulfur on the edge with a sponge to darken it.