The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Powder Coating Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
1. Where would I look for someone local to powder coat some aluminum assemblies if there is not a "powder coating" listing in the Yellow Pages? I live in a metropolitan area of more than a half-million people and I figure there must be someone local who can do it.

2. Can the piece be further fabricated (bent, etc.) once the powder coating is done, or will it flake off?

3. Will decals or adhesive vinyl adhere to a powder-coated surface?

Added question:

4. This might be silly, but can the inside and outside be powder coated with different colors?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
First choice Google. but to answer the rest

Call a company that rebuilds old cars professionally or see if there are companies building Gym equipment in your area.

Leave it alone. You can drill a hole but bending is a no no.

Depends on the adhesive, generally NOT. Powder coating can be somewhat smooth or it can have more texture. Vinyl generally needs a smooth surface although I can hook you up with a new vinyl that sticks to bricks.

Yes depending on the skill of the operator.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
James Riser has a web page on powder coating on a small scale. Look for it on his machinery page. It has some good basic information on using a hand held gun.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
In an area as large as yours, someone does powder coating... If you can't find an actual listing for someone... call around to places that do welding, ask them if they do powder coating, and if they answer no, just ask them if they have a source. They will be happy to refer you to one of their sources.

good luck.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-03-10 20:47, jay leslie wrote:
First choice Google. but to answer the rest

Call a company that rebuilds old cars professionally or see if there are companies building Gym equipment in your area.

For someone who normally Googles even when he doesn't need to Google, surprisingly I seldom use it when looking for local businesses. I went online and voila! - there it was! A metal fabrication shop who provides powder coating services.

Thanks for the guidance.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
TA DA

But see if they can "lay it on" in the thickness you desire. If you don't tell them what you want exactly, they'll never know.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
How would I know what thickness I need?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Do you just want a light coating to minimally cover the AL or do you need a thicker more durable coat? Ask to see their other work.

The difference may be similar (as far as angstroms OR mils) However the look and appearance is probably what you are most concerned with. Think of Powder Coating like confectioner's sugar topping on a donut.

If it's Aluminum, you also have a choice of anodizing (which you heat the metal and dip it in dye) It's not protective but will change the appearance/color. There are other alternatives to wrap the metal or paint it (but first you have to put a special base coat on, in the case of Aluminum).

Hope that helps. Your next question should be at the shop, with your parts in hand. (Should I rephrase that?)