The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: The origin of the switch box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
335 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
Hi guys

I just came back from Blackpool and asked there many magicians who invented the
switch box(4 lights - 4 buttons)

I got no answer,(Even from Mr Burger that told me to ask Max...)

Does anyone know who invented it ?

Have fun
ROi
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
If you're referring to the "Magic Switchboard", there were a couple different types of this, Delben created the one with 2 bulbs and 2 switches. On that model, the switches and bulbs were normal, but the sockets had a little addition. No true electronics were involved. The one currently being manufactured/sold by Wellington Enterprises was created by another gentleman (not Bill Schmeelk) whose name eludes me right now, but he was a genius. There are other pirated models being made these days, but they're totally bogus, and whoever is making them is completely unethical. I believe the original only had 3 bulbs, then they upgraded to the 4.

Steve
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The "Magic Switchboard" (4 bulbs, 4 switches) manufactured by Wellington Enterprises and, sadly, ripped off by at least one unscrupulous s.o.b. who is (or was) selling a vastly inferior knock-off, was developed by Paul Bernhardt who works (or at least used to) at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, DC. I bought mine -- one of the very first ones he made -- directly from him in the 1970s or 80s. As I recall, he told me he developed based on a request from someone who had seen one of the early Delben items and wanted one that would use 3 bulbs and 3 switches -- Paul went one step further and the result is the 4 bulb four switch model that has become the "standard" today. BTW, Paul also made a small 2 bulb 2 switch version and a single bulb variation as well (I have all of them).
Dick Christian
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 10:23, Dick Christian wrote:
The "Magic Switchboard" (4 bulbs, 4 switches) manufactured by Wellington Enterprises and, sadly, ripped off by at least one unscrupulous s.o.b. who is (or was) selling a vastly inferior knock-off, was developed by Paul Bernhardt who works (or at least used to) at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, DC. I bought mine -- one of the very first ones he made -- directly from him in the 1970s or 80s. As I recall, he told me he developed based on a request from someone who had seen one of the early Delben items and wanted one that would use 3 bulbs and 3 switches -- Paul went one step further and the result is the 4 bulb four switch model that has become the "standard" today. BTW, Paul also made a small 2 bulb 2 switch version and a single bulb variation as well (I have all of them).

I never met Mr. Bernhardt but I did see one of his original switch boxes at Al Cohen's Magic Shop back in that same period. Al demo'ed it for me and blew my mind. He told me it had been invented by one of his regular customers who worked in electronics for the Navy, and had left it for Al to see what kind of reactions he got. I believe he wanted to get suggestions for ways to improve the prop or the routine, but as far as I can tell it turned out to be a "keeper" just as it was.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Hayre
View Profile
Loyal user
Arkansas
240 Posts

Profile of Hayre
Would somebody please explain to me why the Canadian Switchbox (which actually has some advances in logic over the Wellingto Switchboard) is attacked as just a rip-off of the Wellington, but the Wellington floating table product is praised for its advances. Is there some further story behind either or both of these apparent contradictions ?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Hayre,

I'm not sure whether or not this will answer your question, but while I don't know the origin (i.e., Canadian or otherwise) of the "Switchboard" knock-off that I described as being "vastly inferior" to the Bernhardt original to which Wellington now owns the manufacturing/marketing rights as I have neither seen nor handled it, I based my assessment on a demo video in which the appearance of the prop itself suggested shoddy workmanship which was not enhanced by the lousy presentation.

As re: the Wellington floating table, one of the reasons why I would give it high marks is because of what IMO is its more "natural" and less "magic prop" look than the other one I own, plus what is a different and, IMO superior, method. I would also rate the method used with the Losander table (which I have seen but do not own) a significant advance over the earlier and more common method.

Neither the basic concept of the "switchboard" nor "floating table" is original with Bernhardt or Wellington. What sets them apart is the combination of quality and methodology pioneered by both.
Dick Christian
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-05-17 19:16, Hayre wrote:
Would somebody please explain to me why the Canadian Switchbox (which actually has some advances in logic over the Wellingto Switchboard) is attacked as just a rip-off of the Wellington, but the Wellington floating table product is praised for its advances. Is there some further story behind either or both of these apparent contradictions ?

To reflect what Dick Christian just posted, please point out to me ANYWHERE in his original post decrying a horrible knockoff that he mentions Canada. There are many bad knockoffs of the Switchboard.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hayre
View Profile
Loyal user
Arkansas
240 Posts

Profile of Hayre
He didn't mention Canada specifically, nor did I say that he mentioned Canada. I used the term (Canadian) to try and pinpoint if we were talking about the same knockoff, especially given that the Canadian one is the only one with a YouTube video I have found other than the Wellington.

There are major logic variances in the two (the other being Wellington). Thus, the required handling varies, but more importantly, what the two can do, and how you can demonstrate its functios, are totally different. The similarity ends with ...4 colored switches turns on same colored bulb. Workmanship aside, the knockoff allows you to do some things the Wellington just can't do. And the Wellington does some things the knockoff just can't do.

I have both..... Is one a knockoff - probably. But, in terms of what they can do, the knockoff goes beyond, AND in a different direction. Bill, you may have both. If not, and if you wish further details on the differences from a technical standpoint, please PM me. I have no horse in this race. I own both horses. I run them both... they are both good at what they can do, but they do different things,
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I just purchased the Magic switchbox III made in Canada, it is very well made and the trick works every time;

The variability to make the magic work for me and then turn the box over to the spectator to try and it does not work for them is worth the price of the trick, which by the way is over 50% less money than the Wellington.
stevep
View Profile
New user
Australia
8 Posts

Profile of stevep
I am very interested in the original working of Paul Bernhardt's version.

In the 1970's/80's it would have been much harder (read: bulkier) to implement the required electronics than today's microcontroller versions (if it was the same routine as published by Wellington). I have seen a schematic for a similar effect which uses no electronics per se, but of course the routine and actual effects need to be adjusted to suit these limitations.

Whilst I love the puzzling effect, thesedays it can be (correctly) assumed that hidden electronics is the source of the magic. An original, exposed wire and power supply version would allay those suspicions.

Does anyone have a link or information about the original Magic Switchboard?