The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Most useful TA effects for "Table Hopping" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-03-01 21:26, Michael Dustman wrote:
I actually think Stapled Warp does work well for walkaround.

Last Saturday night I did strolling for a Catholic Charity Mardi Gras fundraiser. Some were at tables and some were standing. Before the event I had set up six cards for stapled warp and put them in an inner jacket pocket. The first two cards went in my outer left jacket pocket.

I did an Ambitious Card routine and casually dropped the deck into my left coat pocket. I then did another effect and as an afterthought, pulled out the gimmick for the Paul Harris Vanishing Deck. I did that routine and showed the deck was back in my pocket and pulled the deck out with the two cards added on the bottom. As I walked away, I reached in my pocket, pulled out two more cards for stapled warp, dropped them in my outer pocket and was ready to go again.

The mini stapler was in my right outer jacket pocket and took up absolutely no pocket space whatsoever.

Michael,

I agree that Staple Warped works well in walk around too. I was working a bar this weekend and getting ready to perform it. When I pulled out my mini stapler which got a laugh, the girl insisted on borrowing one from the bartender because she thought my was some sort of trick. Needless to say when I pulled off the effect with the borrowed stapler, it was all the more powerful.

Mario
animation
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of animation
Kissdakookie I love your idea for a card warp deck really clever
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
" borrowed stapler " LOL that's awesome....

I am thrilled so many people are performing Stapled Warp and Extraordinary proof.

best,
Andrew Gerard
Well then...
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
The first time I did material from TA, I decided to do Stapled Warp as my finale, and, since I was at a friend's house, I had someone go find a stapler. I then proceeded to set up the card in front of everyone using the other card in the beginning fold postion as cover for the ripping while I was waiting for the stapler. The effect went smoothly, though I don't think anyone got the final display. After the effect, I heard someone say "My senses are blown. I don't get what's up, down, or anything!". Thanks a lot Andrew!

P.S. Extraordinary Proof fried me, and I can't wait to perform it.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2009-03-03 09:28, animation wrote:
Kissdakookie I love your idea for a card warp deck really clever

Credit for the idea of a "card warp deck" goes to
Darwin Ortiz in AT THE CARD TABLE [1988].
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4888 Posts

Profile of gdw
I absolutely love Naked Strange.

I've never bothered with the original plot, but doing this impromptu is great.

Just some notes on it, it is not necessary to use the range of cards suggested on the dvd.

Also, you don't need the whole deck in hand.

I always do this now by having a spectator count exactly 20 cards into my hand, and proceed as if the whole deck was in hand.

Also, as a note, I tend to run through the 20 card after they are given to me, casually mixing them in my hands. What I am doing is looking through for any similar cards, like two black queens, etc, and "shuffling" them so that they will end up one in each pile. Also, I just note any cards that may stand out, like the Ace of Spades, etc, and arrange them and make sure these will not be in the cards the spectator is act to remember one from, just so that it is not remember in addition to the actual "chosen" card.

All done very casually, while "shuffling," and you usually will only "need" too move a 1-3 cards.

Allows you to do it completely impromptu, with no need to use the "range" suggested in TA. Not that there's anything wrong with what they suggest.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
animation
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of animation
Credit for the idea of a "card warp deck" goes to
Darwin Ortiz in AT THE CARD TABLE [1988].
[quote]
Thanks Steve
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of cardlover
Casanova Inc is great for table hopping, as all you need are the spectators hands to do the routine and it can be done surounded.

Have a stack of 20 business cards in your pocket or wallet and all you have to do is pull them out, perform and put them back in your pocket and your set to go again and again.

The more business cards you have, the more times you can keep repeating.

It's a self contained unit and once your set up (several minutes), your good to go.

When you get low on business cards, all you have to do is add more and draw stick firures on the(several seconds) and your good to go again.

Anyone that takes the small amount of time to set this up will see how quick and easy it is.

Simply pull out your business cards, do the effect and put them away and your reset.

Ilove it!
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
What is so special about Gerard's CArd Warp?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-04-20 23:34, Suux88 wrote:
What is so special about Gerard's CArd Warp?

I'm not a fan of it. I prefer the original handling. Basically, it iinvolves using a pocket stapler to seal the warped card inside the cover card, proving that you couldn't be handling it.
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Gerard's Card Warp is amazing in my view. I really enjoy it because of the structure it gives only revealing that part of the card is warped at a time before doing it full view. It's original, creative, and has a bunch of subtlties that make it awesome.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
We agree to disagree. I like Gerard's other two pieces on this set and got a lot out of his interview and the thought that went into his explanations. I just thought this was a pretty minor variation and not so original and creative, actually. I feel it got put on the set for one reason: Paul mis-saw the final display and, in his minds, that became part of the effect. However, I doubt very much others will mis-see it in the same way.

One thing I love about "Card Warp" is unfolding the card and showing it back to normal before going right into the second phase, and you lose that in this version. You also have to carry around a stapler, which turns an effect which is fun and casual into something kind of dorky. I did like the subtlety Gerard added to the end (the "tear here" bit), though.
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Hey Gents,

Thanks for the comments about my contributions to TA.

Just a note on how I approach some of my framing of effects... I always try to:

"Improve the quality of THEIR experience, NOT mine"

The stapling does not change MY experience, but it changes the whole effect to them !

The unfolding half way through has always turned card warp into a mere puzzle for the spectator... the whole plot here is that this card is turning inside out as it passes through another card, no?

well I know from asking people how its done they answered:
" he is flipping it around somehow.. I just don't know how" = puzzle

By stapling it shut they now have an internal visual process going on, and layering the building procedure of the card in their hands etc...this efect to THEM is now impossible= magic

The stapling is like having a card signed, or being handcuffed before getting into a barrel to escape from, with the restriction, its just too easy for them to say " he was just flipping it around, somehow..." I never like to leave the spectator with an excuse to dismiss what they saw.... same as if there card jumps to the top unsigned, they will say " he must have just had 2 of them"

I used to cringe watching people slide the card back and forth, back and forth...to ME its the equivelent of vanishing through a trap door, popping your head back up and down up and down.. displaying the " impossible miracle" as a device puzzle.

Please keep in mind these are only MY opinion I just wanted to share my thoughts.

By the end of the routine, Everyone reacts as the ripped pieces pass through.,, this is just showmanship and taking advantage of the the behavior modeling you have done throughout ( ok maybe that improving the quality of YOUR experience a bit, but you deserve it)

all the best
AG

* go back to when you first started magic and try to remember an effect you loved, then stopped performing because you thought was too easy....

that,is an amazing effect.
Well then...
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 21:08, kissdadookie wrote:
LoL, I hope that was a joke. If not, then let me be clearer on my comment. I have a deck set up for Card Warp, basically this deck comes into play when I perform card warp. Here's the sequence of how the cards are arranged: prepped, not prepped, prepped, not prepped, etc.

Interesting variation although I prefer the Darwin Ortiz Card Warp Deck (At The Card table) as it can be handled and displayed much more freely than this alternating method.

M&S
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 10:32, A.G. wrote:
Hey Gents,

Thanks for the comments about my contributions to TA.

Just a note on how I approach some of my framing of effects... I always try to:

"Improve the quality of THEIR experience, NOT mine"

The stapling does not change MY experience, but it changes the whole effect to them !

The unfolding half way through has always turned card warp into a mere puzzle for the spectator... the whole plot here is that this card is turning inside out as it passes through another card, no?

well I know from asking people how its done they answered:
" he is flipping it around somehow.. I just don't know how" = puzzle

By stapling it shut they now have an internal visual process going on, and layering the building procedure of the card in their hands etc...this efect to THEM is now impossible= magic

The stapling is like having a card signed, or being handcuffed before getting into a barrel to escape from, with the restriction, its just too easy for them to say " he was just flipping it around, somehow..." I never like to leave the spectator with an excuse to dismiss what they saw.... same as if there card jumps to the top unsigned, they will say " he must have just had 2 of them"

I used to cringe watching people slide the card back and forth, back and forth...to ME its the equivelent of vanishing through a trap door, popping your head back up and down up and down.. displaying the " impossible miracle" as a device puzzle.

Please keep in mind these are only MY opinion I just wanted to share my thoughts.

By the end of the routine, Everyone reacts as the ripped pieces pass through.,, this is just showmanship and taking advantage of the the behavior modeling you have done throughout ( ok maybe that improving the quality of YOUR experience a bit, but you deserve it)

all the best
AG

* go back to when you first started magic and try to remember an effect you loved, then stopped performing because you thought was too easy....

that,is an amazing effect.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Like I said, I appreciated your work on the set and will be looking forward to the upcoming DVD.
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Anytime.

AG
Well then...
zmakingmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Burbank, California
119 Posts

Profile of zmakingmagic
Gerard's Card Warp, Extraordinary Proof, Cellmates, Son of Stunner, Reswindled, Tubular.