The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Personalized Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Does anyone know if you can have silks made that say what you want them to say? I know there is the silk that says Say No to Drugs, but are there any silks out there that say, I can! or Believe and you can Achieve or anything like that?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Both Richard Hughes and Tim Sonefelt can do those for you.

Also, Barry Mitchell has a new line of word silks, he's calling "Word Wavers". First one here, called "It's Possible".

Speaking of "I Can", check out this trick, titled "I Can."

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 23:58, BudTCB wrote:
Does anyone know if you can have silks made that say what you want them to say? ... anything like that?

If you catch me at a convention or a silk lecture, I will gladly show you how to do your own with Sharpie pens, etc. There are plenty of threads here on The Café about applications of this. Thus, you can have your message silk and a good hem too.

Try some of these:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=8

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Hi guys,.. thanks so much for the response. I appreciate it alot.
Bob that is an amazing idea about making your own silks. I would have never thought of that idea. Let me make sure this is right, so please correct me if I am wrong. I get an embroidery ring and put the silk in the ring and get a REAL sharpie and write my own message on the silk and then let it dry good, take it off the ring and presto. Should I use stencils and outline it and then fill it in?.. also, Can I use any color silk I want to? or should I only use White? and can I use different color sharpies too? Thanks a million for your advice.
BJ
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
BJ,

It looks like you've got it!

I don't recommend stencils because they lead to bleeding (wicking out) of color if you stop your motion. I actually use a regular pencil to draw my pattern and then use the Sharpie pens. It is wise to use the fine point pen close to the edge (line).

You will be shocked at the mistakes you can get away with six feet away. Don't be harsh on yourself about minor imperfections. They are on the expensive printed ones too!

You don't need to stick to white silks or specific colors.

Have fun!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Thank you a hundred times Over.. I have a pretty good sized show coming up in 2 weeks and I will have a couple silks made up by then for the show. Thanks Bob!
BJ
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Hey Bob,.. I made my first personalized silk last night.. well, Actually my wife did. It looks great. I appreciate the advice and I know we'll be making lots more of them soon. Thanks again, that is something I would never have thought about.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
BJ,

Are you using them yet?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Hey Bob,..
Ya know what... I actually did. My wife made me 3 of them.. I used them this past thursday for a school assemly.. 1 was pink, my wife put I CAN on it and I used it for the appearing cane... and the other 2 were red... she also put I CAN on them too... and I used them for the Clatter Box... it was Great! I can't thank you enough for such Great advice.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
BJ,

That's great! I really don't know why people are so afraid to see what they can do with a simple silk and Sharpie pen. It makes their act exclusively theirs.

March 26-28 I will be near you in Eureka Springs, AR lecturing on this. I hope you are there and we get to meet and see your personalized silks.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=31&2

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Seems like something always happens that I can't go to these things.. My wife is leaving for South America on the 26th and I have a gig on the 27th ... I would love to come to that.. even if just to look at some of your personlized silks and pick up a few more ideas from you. Hopefully sometime down the road.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
This is sort of the same subject, so I couldn't see making a new thread for it.

I'm wondering, are there any 18" silks like the metamorpho spots silk (polka dotted) out there (I haven't found them yet!) or, how you go about making one of these? I can see a sharpie for the white silk, but what for the black silk with white spots? Maybe white out?

Thanks!

Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Any ideas on this?
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
Cut holes into your black silk and when you are performing, wear a white t-shirt and when you hold your silk up in front of you.. it will look like a black silk with white polka dots.. (hehe)
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

That might work...
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
If you need anything else.. just ask me. I would be happy to help, believe me,. I am full of great ideas like that... lol
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 10:13, Bob Sanders wrote:
BJ,

That's great! I really don't know why people are so afraid to see what they can do with a simple silk and Sharpie pen. It makes their act exclusively theirs.........

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Well, Bob. I finally got around to doing this. As you know, one of my favorite silk items to use is Line of Silks. Recently, I ordered a Line of Silks (through Marty Hahne, I know I could have ordered them from you but I needed them all in white and needed them quickly and I know he gets his sewing done here in USA). It was made only with 12 inch, white silks. Eight white silks then space for a 36 inch silk followed by eight more silks. Talk about procrastinating as I have been meaning to do this for last 4-5 years. In any case, I used Sharpies to hand draw three balloons on 1st silk, a birthday present on second silk, spell out HAPPY (each one with different color or stripes or spots) on next five silks, drew multicolored stars on 8th silk. The space that follows is for a 36 inch happy birthday silk (a colorful silk with two bunnies on either side of a birthday cake with candles). This is then followed by eight silks spelling out BIRTHDAY (also in different colors). This spreads out to about 21 feet. I have used a change bag for it but this weekend I will use a newspaper and do a slight variation of Pavel's Newspaper Knotting using this Line of Silks...... I put in blank white silks and a white string into cone made from a newspaper, tear the bottom point, and pull out the Happy Birthday Line of Silks. I open the newspaper and all to be seen is a big hole smack in the middle of the opened newspaper. I will be doing this at a birthday party for one-year twins this Saturday. Lots of kids from 4-10 will be there.

This really didn't take too long to do and it was fun. I've read up on using alcohol after applying the Sharpies and this will give it a tie dyed look. But not going there just yet. That will be next time around. If I get a nice picture of this, I will post it.

Trying to scheme, Bob.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Great! It adds to the show but it is also just fun to do.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com