The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: New a Review: Completely Cold Live and Expanded (2 CD Set) by Kenton Knepper (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Hi Guys

I have not done any cold reading before and was considering the Completly cold Audio CD set, I was just wondering for those who own them what they think of them and if there a good purchase.

Magically

Aus
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If it is as good as the booklet I'd say run...run far away....and I'm not kidding.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Wow 31 views and only one comment.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They are the lucky ones... I'll tell you Aus (by the way, if you are the same Aus I ran into on line a few years ago it is nice to see you), Completely Cold is one of the very few things I've purchased that made me feel truly ripped off. Hey, the CD may be great but I can't see how that is possible.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I'v been for quite sometime MagicSanta so it's quite possable our paths have crossed.

Anyway, what resources would you recommand to a noob in cold reading?

Magically

Aus
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
Try Ian Rowland's The Full Facts on Cold Reading book.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well... there is a course on being a psychic but the person who made it is not allowed to be mentioned but if you can't guess PM me and I'll give you a link. Ian Rowlands book is interesting but it is more of an expose on cold reading more so than tips on how to do it. I enjoyed reading it. One of the best booklets I've seen is on the tarot by Bob Brown and is available, hopefully, from Magic Inc. Bob understood how people think. Being a psychic is more psychological in nature than many realize so books on reading people or sales actually are helpful. Here is one suggestion:

On becoming a counsellor" by Eugene Kennedy

The guys who I respect in the business, and by respect I mean they know they are not psychic but perhaps they are helping people but don't cross the line in ripping them off, quite frankly are not found here. Again PM me if you want a suggested place to go. I don't want to put it up because, frankly, it isn't a place for everyone but you've been around awhile and like you.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I don't do cold readings, but you might check out Wonder Words. Its not devoted to cold readings but has some info on that, as well as on the general use of words in you performance (which is why I bought the set)

JOhn
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone else?
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
After reading pretty a lot available on the subject I must say I am not sure you can really learn to cold read properly, except by doing it.

I would definitely not recommend completely cold to get into it though. To me it's information that
a) Once you know how to cold read makes sense but isn't really useful info anymore
b) If you don't do it yet, it feels like too much brass appendages are needed to pull it off.

If you really want to learn cold reading my advice would be to either learn to read Tarot cards the proper way, or delve into Enrique's material (but that's close to the shut-eye way anyhow).

Once you learn to read Tarot cards you'll find out that it's really cold reading as each card can be interpreted in any way pretty much. Reading those cards will give you the practice you need and at one point you just cold read.

Richard Websters books can help while doing this, it's an endless resource of additional ideas.

Kaj
* edited to add: this comment is based on the completely cold booklet.
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
(and wanted to add, yeah, I wonder if it's the Aus I know too - I went back to that place a couple of times recently but there was noone there - indeed it's been a few years)
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
It says:
"The classic reference for making cold readers in under 24 hours just got pushed to the next level! On two CDs you will get all the inside work so you can begin to do readings virtually overnight".

WOW-overnight?

And:

NO memorizing. NO props. Get this material in your head and be ready to go to work as a reader tomorrow.

This new version contains the entire original material as an audio book, plus an application for use with a mental card forcing equivoque, Kenton's answer to those afraid to doing readings and more. Then a second CD teaches you by example as you listen to "Cold" in action in real life readings situations. It's the missing piece everyone has been waiting to have - here at last.

The Original "Completely Cold" has launched the careers of many readers, and literally taught mentalists overnight how to sneak readings into their everyday conversations to gain rapport.

See the original "Completely Cold" product (below) for details if you are not yet aware of the power of "Completely Cold."

We never thought Kenton could make "Cold" better than it was. Now he has... hear it for yourself with all the extras at last!

Listen today, perform readings tomorrow.

CD 1 :

* The Original Completely Cold in Audio Book Form
* NEW WORK including how to begin a reading, what else to say,
* other words and category options, what you already know and more.
* Over 60 minutes in length

CD 2 - Live Readings and More:

* Track 1 - Opening Remarks
* Track 2 - Donna's Reading
* Track 3 - Dave's Reading
* Track 4 - Reactions from Donna and Dave
* Track 5 - Kathryn's Reading
* Track 6 - Notes About Kathryn's Reading
* Track 7 - Kathryn's Reactions To Her Reading
* Track 8 - Completely Cold As Card Equivoque
* Track 9 - Live Cold Card Force
* Track 10 - Holly's Extreme Reading
* Track 11 - Ending Comments, Fear and Action
* CD 2 is almost 60 Minutes in length.
~Joe
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
The inocuous key phrases and sizing up people to know which ones to use them on and switching directions depending on how someone responds to those statements is the essence of cold reading. I'm far from an expert but have to agree with one of the posters above who said you need to get out there and do it all the time, its the only way to make cold reading second nature and effective. No reference materials in the world can do that for you.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Although written more as an "expose" than a "how to"Try I fopund Ian Rowland's The Full Facts on Cold Reading book to be the authoratative work on this topic.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
With a smile and a wink to Kenton...

You have two options -

Reader: Do you like Completely Cold?

Sitter: YES!

Reader: YES AND you are right because this could expand your present knowledge and give you practical tips to never got stuck during a quick reading with a client!

Reader: Do you like Completely Cold?

Sitter: NO!

Reader: BUT only because you did not consider in the long run how many benefits you will get by reading and practicing the tips given in the booklet!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Lord do you have a preference between these and the Montalbano products?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Good question.

But these are two different "tools" if you allow me this term.

First of all Completely Cold orginal booklet was something one hated or loved (as most Kenton's products I should add) and also it depends a lot - my opinion - how you intend to use readings AND if you already are doing readings AND if you studies a legitimate "oracle" already... like Tarots, Hand, Runes, etc.

Having said that, while Completely Cold original booklet left me cold (but then I was already doing readings and I studied Dewey, Webster, Martin for years) the new audio files add quite some deep thoughts on the system as well as live reading examples.

While Kenton insists you don't need anything else to do successful readings (and this maybe certainly true IF you have a lot of experience and are ready to use your intuition a lot) I think such a simple system can be better fit some quick readings, especially done for fun.

What Dean teaches you is a so-called "oracle", in this case how to read palms both with basic AND advanced notions... and when that tool is in your mind, you are always ready to give fun OR serious readings to anyone.

I personally like to study anything and, not to lack of modesty, I hardly need to know more about these subjects but I love to listen, re-listen... even admire how ANOTHER reader has learned HIS system and how implemented something different than what I do, and yet coming to the same results I came.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Thank you Lord.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

My pleasure! Smile
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
Ian Rowlands book is a masterpiece. No doubt about that. The book is a lot more comprehensive than "completely cold" is and intends to be.

Yet, I love Kenton Kneppers "completely cold". Kenton has reduced the complex field of cold reading to its bare essentials. I consider it difficult (if not impossible) to imagine a "starter package" into cold reading that would be "briefer" or more "condensed" than "completely cold" is. The simplicity of the completely cold concept is amazing. Some people may feel that such "simple" information might be "trivial". I do not think so.

Best,
G.M.