The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The Notebook - Blackpool release (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicwill
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of magicwill
Hi Guys,

I just thought I would let you all know that I will be launching a new book called The Notebook at the Blackpool convention the weekend after next.

The Notebook is something I am really excited about and reveals a whole new facet of card magic. I have provided a little more information bellow that I think will interest anyone who likes card magic or the history of magic (or even better in both)!

Full Title - The Notebook or A collection of over eighty conjuring tricks with cards including those performed by Astley, Boaz, Breslaw, Maxwell, Reay/Rea, Rees and Walton written by an unknown author circa 1800.

The Notebook contains descriptions and explanations of eighty one card tricks performed in the latter half of the eighteenth century by some of the greatest magicians of the age. Unlike other books from the time, The Notebook was written by a knowledgeable magician author. Because of this The Notebook includes details of the subtleties, outs and timing used and importantly that the tricks are those used by the performers themselves, rather than the ones included in the books they sold to the public. This means that a large number of items feel surprisingly modern and would work alongside magic created in the twenty-first century, despite the fact they are over two hundred years old. Some of the material could even be published today and pass for current creations!

The Notebook contains a facsimile of the original, hand written notebook in The Magic Circle library and a transcript of the text to make reading easier. Additional notes are also included that will aid in the understanding of the text. Biographies of all the performers mentioned in The Notebook give an insight into these fascinating people - one was hanged for owning forgery equipment and another supposedly died twice! In addition, a dating section explains the features of The Notebook that allow the completion date of a two hundred year old, anonymously written, undated document to be estimated.

Best wishes,

Will Houstoun