The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Did You Hear the Latest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bound4blades
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bound4blades
Canadian extreme escapist Steve Santini just had a new documentary on his career produced for Canadian television. This is the prelude to a new T.V. series being worked on. Here are the links

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQf0C5vopg

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OigZSktMyA
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Please...let's keep this forum a "Santini-Free Zone".
bound4blades
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bound4blades
I pulled some searches on google to find out more about him when I saw the vids on youtube...I found a thread where ppl were raving about his first video and wanting to know when the next was coming out so I figured I would let them know it's coming soon...
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Funny...all five of your posts are links to these videos on various threads.
Was your only purpose in joining to promote this show?
Are you in fact Santini?
I have my suspicions.
Gwyd
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Bingo!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
bound4blades
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bound4blades
Uhh no...never even been to canada

I really enjoyed his video and saw other people here talking bout his other one. I have actually been slowly reading through other things here too. Sorry that is the only thing I have had to post so far. It was also a way to maybe start becoming involved with the board. I just thought it would be of interest and posted to different threads for different ppl. I was going to post my opinion of One Way Out, but from the reviews it's getting here I didn't want to sound argumentative.

gsidhe I would like to compliment you on your use of the vaudevillian style and silent movie technique. I enjoyed it.

not that I should need to explain myself being new to the board, but I come from a family with a very rich history in stage

edit to add: from what I understand it's not for sale anyway
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
No worries...I was really asking. I don't know the guy at all but your entrance seemed to fit the pattern of one trying to promote a product or themselves.
One Way Out?
So what is your opinion?
Personally I like the show. Some of the methods are a little obvious (My 10 year old daughter spotted one of his slack gaining techniques right away), but it seems to be decent for entertainment value.
And where does your interest in magic lie? Escapes? Cards? Sponge Balls? (Please don't say sponge balls!)
And thanks for the compliments!
Gwyd
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Bound4blades, you've had 6 posts on the Café, all within the last few days. Four of them promote those two links, in various subject areas. The other two, are in this thread.

I've never had contact with SS, that I know of. I've seen his PR at some of the trade shows I attend. It looks good. I've watched some of his video, and it's ok, though I wouldn't use the word "extreme" to describe what I've seen. He appears to know quite a bit, about lock-picking and illusion, and he's found a catchy marketing theme.

However, I was harassed somewhat viciously, by a person who represented himself as one of SS's students. I know a number of others who have been attacked also, by SS, a "student", or both. As I understand it, SS was expelled from Café membership on a number of occasions, for making personal attacks.

Folks here, might be a little skeptical.

I'm curious about your screen name. (As someone who swallows dull swords, and walks barefoot on sharp ones, I'd love to know how you arrived at it.)
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
bound4blades
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bound4blades
Personally I think he made a mockery of the art. I can't believe discovery is showing it. both my kids were complaining through the whole thing about how they could do what he was doing. He tried to promote it as having an educational twist but it was literally a 4th grade or below level. He's a Jackass ripoff imo. That's what I really enjoy about what I have seen of Santini. His is real. It's not slacked straight jacket hanging from a gravity unit that even my kids could get out of, or bent knees to lessen movement on a washing maching. You say you don't know Santini, have you seen some of his work? It impressed the hell out of me... def put angel to shame...

more in the escapes genre, lost the illusion with illusion many years ago. I enjoy the psychology behind it, as well as the challenge of figuring out how they do it. my kids have the same interests from our family history. lol they are pretty good with the illusions and figure them out too quickly...
bound4blades
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bound4blades
I have a fascination for blades being able to get out of rope...i don't swallow them lol

well, if they got the same kind of response I did, I can't say I blame them. Having to defend myself and my posts and being accused of being here strictly for pr isn't exactly a welcoming atmosphere.

the escapes I have seen of him, either he gets out or he's a dead puppy. there isn't anyone right around him to get him out "just in the nick of time" either. Watch further in. Dragged to death was very impressive. If he hadn't broken his thumb to get out he would have had a blade through his chest if not having his neck snapped. I would call that pretty extreme lol.

From the threads I pulled in my search, it seems like he was quite a respected knowledge source. Seems like more than a few have benefited from his knowledge.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I thought the clips were good.
SS on here has ruffled a few feathers and he also fell out with me! Not a clue why, other than I spoke with Steve Baker.

At one period it seemed you had to support one or the other>>> very childish, I liked and respected aspects from both men. So lets be clear SS fell out with me for reasons best known to himself. I think SS could have had a lot to offer the escape community but his BS publicity really should be applauded,,,I love a good showman!!!

His stunts are his own !!

He never resorts to useing gimmed restraints!! (Milk Churn must have been real then !).

He will never copy anyones presentations and stunts !

Hahaha love it,, must go juggle some soot.

Also looking at the clips, it must have been a lifetime of his work,,,,grey haired in one clip, shaved head in another clip and a mohawk cut at the end !

He still comes across as a geriatric hells angel with an overwieght problem (In fact he`s just like me) But Im not ashamed to admit it.

I say to everyone looking in on this biz (I include all of showbiz here) Enjoy the BS and accept it for what it is.
But should you wish to find out the real truth about an artist, do your home work. Check up and see how many actual paid gigs they are doing this will enlighten!!

I did,,,hahaha BS will not baffle what brain I have left.

Good luck to both Steve`s but , please lets not fool ourselves here.

Ken.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 18:13, bound4blades wrote:

Having to defend myself and my posts and being accused of being here strictly for pr isn't exactly a welcoming atmosphere.

He is right. It is not very welcoming. And it really shouldn't matter who he is. If is was this guy in question , does it make a difference. We are all in show business and it is all about promotion and self promotion. What's the big deal. I understand that if it was him he could at least just be honest and say hey guys I am doing this...yadda yadda. But the guy says he is not him and unless we can prove otherwise why don't we just welcome him the Café like everyone else. I have noticed the brotherhood in this business is nothing like it was in it's golden age. I think we should change that a bit. It is hard for anyone to learn or share anything when there are those on here that just want to make everything so trivial.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON