The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo Elite :: Squeeze Play (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There was an assembly-type effect using dice that used the squeeze play move as a vanish. I think it was Jay Sankey's routine published in Richard's Almanac. You can get small dice with corners that are sufficiently rounded for this. The Sankey routine used playing cards as the surfaces, but they were a bit weak.

Anyone up for a combination of Lubor Fiedler's "Shock Die" and Squeeze play? The "coasters" could be mirrored mylar, allowing you to do the spots effect, and then in the end, the die is squished.

What do you say, Steve, Fiedler worked with Tenyo quite a bit in the past....
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Isn't that demo performed wrong? Shouldn't the disk be squeezed through the small hole? I clearly see the hole in the top disk.

Or maybe that is not the intended effect.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Someone did at one time sell a version of Squeeze Play made with dice and black disks. I bought one.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Gosh, I do remember this. Always thought it was very clever but, didn't use it much because it seemed kind of cheap.
I had forgotten all about it until this thread. Pretty sure it's packed away somewhere...we'll see!
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Add a drop of oil to one side of both plates and rub it with a tissue. Does wonders and makes the trick more reliable, especially with used/old plates.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I believe the version that David Regal mentioned above may be "Squeeze Away Die" made by Jack Miller (famous for making Hot Rod's and other paddle sticks)I just purchased this version in a group of used magic. Plates look similar to the Tenyo version but comes with beautifully gaffed dice instead of the traditonal checkers/disks. I also picked up the Deluxe Squeeze Play from Daytona Magic... nice looking props but not as smooth working as the original.

Killer, I actually find the plates on the Tenyo version almost too slippery. I hate to say it but I prefer the version made in China (still available) as the plates have a slightly rough texture so the disk does not move around as you are setting the trick up. Also because of the matte surface they do not show the scratches like the original Tenyo. It is a great little trick that is fun to practise and show.

John
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 11:34, Peter Loughran wrote:
And if I recall Squeeze play had Tenyo all over it. So if we do decide to do an elite version the props will not contain any identification on the parts that my suggest it is a toy, which will be welcomed by those who wish to perform the prop in a more professional application.

Peter.

Peter - I think you are getting confused with the later 'improved' Squeeze Play mate.

The first Squeeze Play's that I remember in the late 1970's had blank, blue disks. The little plug was (if memory serves me correctly) yellow one side, and luminous green on the other.

The later 'improved' version had (as you say) Tenyo plastered all over it. The 'improvement' was to the actual edging of the plug - it was smoother edged and less angular to make handling easier. The plug also had a colour change to accompany the re-design.

I think the new version hit the streets around 1981/82.

I'm no Tenyo Historian by any means - but I don't think I'm too far wrong on this one.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
jcs013
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of jcs013
Does the Doug Henning version of Squeeze Play come with the plastic glass?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes it does.
jcs013
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of jcs013
Would there be any extra plastic 'Squeeze play' glasses out there? please send me a note if there are.

Thank you
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I want one. please. uk.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Got it. practice practice practice,
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
For those interested, the inspiration for Squeeze Play can be traced back to Ken Allen. Coincidentally speaking, according to an earlier post in this thread, Die-Namic by Ken Allen used dice. Later the effect was released as a ball and was made by UF Grant and called Lunaball. Neither effect used the Tenyo presentation with the platters which was an inspired way to cause the penetration. The Ken Allen effect used a coaster, but only one. The penetration was accomplished by a sleight and not momentum (I am purposely being vague so as not to reveal the method). The Grant effect used a cup in one version and a mason jar in another, which was also an inspired handling.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Shigeru Sugawara was not remotely influenced by Ken Allen or anyone else. "Squeeze Play" was a wholly original idea, and he first did it with dice
JollyGreenGiant
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of JollyGreenGiant
This is one of the tricks that absolutely blew my mind the 1st time I saw it when I was a youngster. Wish I got that feeling more often. Smile
Hookem
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Hookem
Mark Wilson not only endorsed it, but my understanding is that he suggested the name.
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
Tricks CO. Of Japan released a similar effect called Space Dice. It used square partly transparent boards and a red dice and the glass was all clear. The method is different and personally I like the Tricks item better.