The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Funny Story on Extreme Burn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
I've been waiting since just after Christmas for my local shop to get additional copies of Extreme Burn in. I've seen the effect on television, youtube, and in person, and was waiting with much anticipation. In fact, the Saturday after Christmas I went to the shop and was told he had just sold the last one, and he should have more in a week or so.

So, I've gone by every week to check on his inventory (I know, I could've gotten it elsewhere, but I like to support my local brick and mortar store) and FINALLY picked it up. I rush home to watch the dvd, absorbing the information and both amazed and dumbfounded by the simplicity and genius of the effect.

Then it hits me...I can't afford to do the trick, at least not right now, not with hundreds or even 20's.

I'm thinking of doing a $1 to $2 change, just to get rolling. Hopefully I will soon be able to commit the money to the gimmick and effect.

Please don't misunderstand--I was not expecting the effect to come with the bills. It just never crossed my mind until I was ready to make the gaff.

Oh well, I'm still glad I have it. Smile
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein
deliveryboy
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Save your money I use twenties and it kills.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use twenties too, but every once in a while I "borrow" one when I'm low on funds, then I have to put the "packet" back together when I get enough money!

Jim
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I started with $1 to $5. There's no doubt ones to twenties is better, but it still gets amazing reactions. I tell people I'm still a beginner, when I get better I hope to be able to conjure up bigger bills.

Note: the new tens are a different color, so I recommend skipping tens.

-Dan
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I use $1 to $5 too and it gets great reactions. I'll work my way up to larger bills as my funds permit. I did try the tens and you are right, they are different enough to notice so I skipped them. $20 are my next goal.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-01-27 14:34, DanielCoyne wrote:
Note: the new tens are a different color, so I recommend skipping tens.

-Dan

I recommend you use $10 bills if you can't afford $100's. Why? It is more visual.

A green $1 changing into an orange $10, a color change as well. It gets great reactions! This type of trick is best suited for changing $1's into $100's because that is what the laymen would do if they had powers.

Why change a $1 into a $2? A $1 into a $5, a $1 into a $10, a $1 into a $20, a $1 into a $50?

Change a $1 into a $100 bill for the best reaction. I only performed it a couple of times but the reactions were better than $1 to $10. (if you can't afford it..don't do it) So, therefore I dismantled my gimmick for the time being since I'm a poor college boy. LOL

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
The cheapest version is one of the best --try turning blank sheets of paper or coupons into ones!
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I just used $80 out of my EB pack so I could go skiing- I have to go to the bank to get new bills.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
.. and my wife took $40 out about a month ago to go shoppiing.
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
For the record, you don't HAVE to change five 1s into five x-amounts. I actually found that it looks nice when you use four bills instead. Because when you count the bills and then display them, you'll have two and two rather than three and two. It creates a better visual in my opinion.

Back on topic, I use 1s to 10s because it's cheaper and I like the color change with it as well. Plus if you have to break it up to spend, it's not terribly difficult to replace a 10. Not to mention I'm a poor college boy who will be graduating during a time where there are hardly any post-graduation job opportunities...>_<
sruli
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of sruli
I think if I were doing 1s to 100s I'd want five bills because it sounds nicer, if you know what I mean. But I don't want to tie up or carry around that much cash, so I actually do 4 bills: 1s to 20s. Great reactions. And as an added bonus, the packet is smaller.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Fred Kaps always turned magazine clippings into bills. Since he is still widely considered as THEe best all-around magician of all time, maybe that's worth considering.

I don't think laymen would change 1's to 100's--I think they'd change scrap paer into money!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
If I saw laymen change scrap paper to 100s, I'd say that's counterfeiting...
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
I do this with $100s. I don't think I'd get a better reaction any other way. Think about the psychology (it's huge with this strong of an effect!!!)

What would you turn $1s into??? C'mon.........$20s??? Really??? Why EVER would you do that? Ask your audience! They will probably tell you after doing $20s without you even asking them!

I look at it as a savings account. Once I pay for the DVD in tips/gigs, the rest will go into savings as an EB Interest Account! Seriously, save your paper up for this one as far as performance is concerned and practice with the small stuff.....you'll be glad you did!

PS. Besides, the Market won't be able to get to that stack either! HA!
David Smith
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of David Smith
This is much more of a problem in UK where the lowest denomination bill is £5 (about $10) These bills are hard to find in good condition too, and are a little too small. The minimum denomination bill from an ATM is £10 ($20) Most magicians in this country favour the £20 ($40), but this makes it an expensive prop to carry around!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Are the bills that are issued in Disneyland the same dimensions and could that be used. that might be a possible use when performing with kids.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
I just use my leftover $500 Brazilian notes Sanders used in Slow Burn...and change them into $1's...I got away cheaply, and patter lines are easy to come up with...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2009, Zaprig1 wrote:
I do this with $100s. I don't think I'd get a better reaction any other way. Think about the psychology (it's huge with this strong of an effect!!!)

What would you turn $1s into??? C'mon.........$20s??? Really??? Why EVER would you do that?

One reason you could use is that $100s are hard to spend at some establishments after 5:00pm.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
This is a great effect and I have had success using two dollar bills and ten dollar bills. I use a story telling about how two dollar bills are magical and you don't see them much in circulation. There are also sites that have fake movie time magic bills that look very real, not quite as durable as the real ones, but with these you
can use I think even thousand dollar bills.

Have a great day!!!

Walking Magic Bob in Iowa
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I finally figured out how to make money as a magician. ~show 4 or 5 mismade bills~
I have a friend that works at the federal reserve and sometimes the printers get out of kilter and this happens. ~hand one or two out for them to look at~
I purchase these for 75 cents each. I use my magic and ~they are now dollar bills~
I can't spend these yet because these serial numbers are not registered with the treasury, so, I contact my friend, give her the numbers and for 35 cents for each serial number, she registers them for me. What an easy way for me to make money.

The basic idea for that came from this thread.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=583247