The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo Elite :: The decision-making process (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I'm intrigued about this process on many levels. However, I'm curious as to what went into choosing the first four effects of the line, what's ahead, etc. Perhaps it's time for Steve to do a followup in MAGIC...
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
Yeah! And whats next?

Trey
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hello all:

Thank you for your comment regarding your interest in this process, stempleton. It was a very long process full of many challenges that Steve Brooks, Peter Loughran and I went through......In fact, we're STILL going through so many!

One of the biggest things was that we were creating a brand new LINE of tricks....not just coming out with a new effect. This was a massive undertaking, and the amount of time and money that the three of us have invested---and are STILL investing---is massive. We had to create a company, JPS Magic Studios Ltd. (which stands for Jason, Peter and Steve.....for those of you paying attention. lol), and deal with all the artistic, financial, legal, and organizational challenges with that. Then we had to go through the negotiation process with Tenyo which was very difficult, VERY time consuming and had many challenges along the way. Please understand that it's not that Tenyo is necessarily a difficult company to work with. On the contrary they have been most gracious and helpful to us during this endeavor. However, they are still......TENYO, arguably one of the most well-known, and reputable companies in the magic/toy world. As a result, they are VERY careful to whom they grant licenses to----and with good reason! They have a very good reputation as everyone knows, so there were obstacles that we had to overcome, and logistical issues that we all had to ensure were complied with and dealt with.

I should also mention that I live in Toronto, Canada. Peter lives about a 1.5 hour drive away from me. And Steve lives in California! Wow! I can't even begin to tell you the difficulties that we constantly encounter in dealing with these distances. I've jokingly said that JPS will go broke from courier fees that we're spending! LOL!

In terms of which 4 tricks to do, well, that was an interesting process in itself. As you know, Tenyo has such a huge amount of brilliant magic----many of which is not even produced anymore. One thing that we wanted to do for the first 4 items was to be sure to give a balance between "mechanical" and "non-mechanical" tricks. While we have been given a lot of freedom over what we can produce, we also obviously have certain parameters that we must stay within. And also at the end of the day, Tenyo must approve anything that we produce.......as they should. While we don't have a problem with this at all, it still can be a bit of a challenge at times----but nothing that we can't overcome.

As I say, we are quickly approaching our debut at The World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas (March 1-4), and we think that everyone will be very pleased with the tricks, and the level of quality. Just like Tenyo's originals, these will be very well made, will appeal to many magicians on so many levels (including professional performers like Peter, Steve and I), and will have a very "elite" feel if we do say so ourselves! lol

In terms of what is next, trey......well......we've got some ideas, but we're not sure. We have much that we can choose from, and plus Tenyo comes out with a number of additional items every year. Presently we're just focused on getting these first 4 out, and our plan is to introduce 4 to 6 tricks every year (like Tenyo does). One thing that will be easier next year, is that the company and the new brand/line will be up and running, so in many ways we'll have less work to do. I'm sorry to sound so vague regarding the future plans, but we've gotta keep some element of surprise regarding future things. lol However I will tell you that everything will be made of more "robust" materials than the Tenyo originals (metal, wood, etc.), and while we know collectors and amateurs will gobble them up, the Tenyo Elite tricks will always be designed with "performance" in mind, if you catch my drift.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited
(416) 410-5766
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'd like to see you gravitate towards exotic (and non-exotic) hardwoods, brass, glass, and machined or tooled steel as opposed to things like painted sheet metal and aluminum bar stock.

Just a thought.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Thanks, Jason. I wish the three of you well. If you ever need a local sales rep...

I also appreciate the upgrade from the typical Tenyo materials, and although I am a fan of quality, I hope this line doesn't go outside the reach of the "front line." (We're all not able to shop at Wolf's or Collectors Workshop... at least yet Smile

Look forward to great things from Tenyo Elite! Best wishes!

Steve
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Moonspinner was a great choice. I remember getting miles out of that one when I was Roving at Fairs. I would give away the quarter, the kids would beg for more. Great trick, great choice.

Please keep the upcoming economy in mind when you decide the price-points. As Grampa used to say: "Better a fast nickel than a slow dime".
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Joemv
Jason, wishing your the best on your endeavour,looking forward to your
products.

Joe
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hello all:

I just wanted to let you know that we have slightly "enhanced" the official site, http://www.tenyoelite.com, so please have another visit.

First, there were a couple of issues with some of the pages, and some people could not see them properly. For instance please be sure to check out the "About Us" page, because there are some photos there that show our historic signing with Tenyo in New York, etc. Just use the "Continue" and "Back" buttons to navigate.

Secondly, there is now a form on the Contact Us page so that you can be added to our emailing list and be kept up to date on new products, etc.

Finally, in answer to one of the main questions, we are planning on introducing 4 to 6 products each year. What you see on the site are just the FIRST 4 that are coming out this year, and now the "Products" page reflects this with some more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you again for all your support.

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited
(416) 410-5766
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4716 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Effects that I would like to see in the Elite line...

Krazy Keys (made of metal, not plastic)
Eye of the Idol
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
839 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Tenyo Elite,

Any help you need on this, then please let me know.

Tony Curtis

Bangkok Thailand

Quote:
On 2009-01-27 18:19, silverking wrote:
I'd like to see you gravitate towards exotic (and non-exotic) hardwoods.
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.

Click Here