The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Making Collapsible P:rop Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What hardware is needed to make a box collapsible and easy / quick to assemble. For example, you were to make a Stack of Boxes Illusion. How would you make the boxes collapsible?
I have been using pin hinges. I was thinking that there is a more modern way to accomplish this. Something that can be found in hardware supplies.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Lou,

Have you considered duct tape as a possible hingeing method for boxes of various sizes?

Best Wishes,
Lester
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 20:00, Lester wrote:
Hi Lou,

Have you considered duct tape as a possible hingeing method for boxes of various sizes?

Best Wishes,
Lester

Good idea Lester. I am planning to use 1/4" plywood to make the boxes. I think duct tape and staples would work. But I feel that duct tape won't last long. I think using denim cloth with contact cement would last longer as hinges.
But for temporary holds, duct tape would indeed work. Thanks!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It depends how much yo want it to break down. One way is to hinge all sides together so they lie flat but are hinge together. At performance, at a clip in an L shape that slips down over the corners like an edge molding to stiff it bak up. You might need clips top and bottom on the boxes. This is similar to what Harbin did with his original zig zag. It packed flat and then was stiffed onsite with support pieces.

Cloth tape will work but it is not going to hold up in the long run.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Piano hinges work good. and Thomas Wayne posted a link for break down joints not long ago.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 12:05, IDOTRIX wrote:
Piano hinges work good. and Thomas Wayne posted a link for break down joints not long ago.

Piano Hinges are very durable. But it tends to make the box heavy specially when you attach it to the 4 sides plus 2 on the center of the sides. Just like making a collapsible Zig Zag illusion.
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Hi lou
these from lee valley may work for you:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.a......06,41319

bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
One old timer used the catches from bed frames to hook things together.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
There's always T-nuts and bolts (or bolts and wingnuts) on an inside post; but for 1/4" ply, that will leave visible bolts on the outside. Plus you'd want to reinforce the holes in the ply or it would wear out quickly.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
1/4 inch ply to break down will leave something on the outside it has to, nothing is small and structural enough to hold in that 1/4" without breaking through or back bracing.

J
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Just thinking out loud...

You have a four-sided box. Two diagonally-opposite corners are hinged on the inside with "regular" hinges. They could be either butt joints or bevelled, but let's say they're butt joints. In either case, the sides can only open to 90 degrees because the material itself (at the joint) prevents them from going any farther.

The other two diagonally-opposite corners are also hinged on the inside, but with loose-pin hinges. When assembled, the box can't collapse because of where the hinges are placed, and because one set of corners keeps the other set from folding.

I've never done this, but just from visualizing it, I think it might work.

I know 1/4" ply is lightweight, but you might consider 3/8" instead. It'll give you more beef at the corners. Also, I would suggest using very small bolts (or bolts and T-nuts) on the hinges instead of screws. A drop of glue on the bolt before you insert it will keep it tight.

Hope that helps.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Check out this site for a modern collapsible box...

http://www.organizeit.com/powhitmorcubes.asp
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I think it's going to be very difficult to build Stack of Boxes and have the ability to break it down. With that plywood thickness and the fact that the boxes are essentially 3 sided (so not very strong to begin with), I don't see anyway for them to keep their shape, so to speak. I'm speaking from experience, having built this illusion for myself.

My wakeling sawing in half however does break down but uses the hinge pins you wanted to avoid.

Mario
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
Have you considered using the stuff used for damp proof course in building houses. Its strong light and flexible, it should make a good hinge?
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk