The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Continuity and Change in the Cult of Mithra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Having said now that I read Continuity and Change in the Cult of Mithra, I wonder how many of you care. However, I will not really show in any way that I did read it (More than what I could gather from the Internets), but I said I did.

I will say something about magic to make it reasonably relevant, but it will be clear to anyone (Who has read any of my blather) that this is a vendetta because I am angry magicians are not all reading my published works and had the nerve to defend themselves (and all magicians) when I said they (... and all magicians) didn't read.

I am going to look another 2 books up on the Internet and say I read them too. that will teach you magicians to provoke me.

Yeah.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In human nature there is about (say) 85% that we have in common. When we want to share our knowledge about something that we think valid thinking, essentially we are trying to expand these 85%.
If we initiate it in an conflicting way, we in fact gain a few believers but generate rejection for the ideas we defend which is solely a reaction to our aggressive personality and not to such ideas. We then expand the 15% of difference.

To me it seems like magic: sharing knowledge needs to make the ideas attractive and therefore the person initiating the spreading of such knowledge should not dammage by a repulsive behavior the good things he is attempting to share.

I'll read your recommanded books because I'm knowledge hungry, but as I said in other posts, I think you are doing it "upside down". Admittedly, shocking is attention catching but if when the dialog remains so (becomming a monolog), it gets discouraging for listener and puts you at risk of feeling rejected.

The way your new thread is initiated expresses your frustration at this rejection.
But if you have to kick all the people responsible for the trouble you have you won't be able to sit for a month. I just realize that this might be the reason you place your bottom so out of reach...

Seriously, I'll read Payam Nabarz collected works on Continuity and Change in the Cult of Mithra with the Dr Israel Campos Mendez comments and Sergio Knipe essay which seems to be a highlight in the book. David Livingstone seems also of interest.
Farangis Yegane considerations will probably be the part that will interest me the most and Guya Vichi the one that will attract me the least and Payam Nabarz on liturgy with the Orphic Hymns will either fascinate me or bore me to death...

Will see.

In this line may I recommand you to read (with magic scripts in mind) Paul Diel: symbolism in Greek mythology (and if you care my comments on the book in Amazon.com)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Best reply ever. Although, when aggressive/repulsive nature is based on love and compassion... I hope no one feels frustration when engaged in Internetery, this is purely pleasure to me.

Now I'm going to have to read those books (The one I brought up too...). I was looking for a new author anyway.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
Neb djer djed­ef: 
Kheper­ee kheper kheper­oo, 
Kheper­kooie em kheper­oo en khepree,
kheper em sep tepi, 
Kheper­kooie em kheperoo en khepree kheper­oo Kheper kheper­oo poo, 
En pea­en­ee yoo pea­oot­yoo ir­en­ee Pea­en­ee em pea­oot­yoo Pea eren­ee 
yoo­essen ir­ee pea­oot pea­oot­yoo. 

It’s what you say to in the morning in the cult-Phonetically speaking of course.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-23 00:28, tommy wrote:
Neb djer djed­ef: 
Kheper­ee kheper kheper­oo, 
Kheper­kooie em kheper­oo en khepree,
kheper em sep tepi, 
Kheper­kooie em kheperoo en khepree kheper­oo Kheper kheper­oo poo, 
En pea­en­ee yoo pea­oot­yoo ir­en­ee Pea­en­ee em pea­oot­yoo Pea eren­ee 
yoo­essen ir­ee pea­oot pea­oot­yoo. 

It’s what you say to in the morning in the cult-Phonetically speaking of course.

HERETIC! BURN HIM ALIVE! EXCOMMUNICATE HIM! MOCK HIM PUBLICLY ON THE SEAN HANNITY SHOW!

Everyone knows the last line is: "yoo­essen ir­ee pea­oot pea­oot­yoo yoot aio".

Duh!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yoot aio

:)

Render us that bit into English Gaddy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-23 01:20, tommy wrote:
Yoot aio

:)

Render us that bit into English Gaddy.

oh, just a little pillow talk... Smile

I'm still trying to figure out the phonetic translation of that bit you wrote!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Master of the Universe declares: 
When I manifested myself into existence, existence existed. 
I came into existence in the form of the Existent, 
which came into existence in the First Time. 
Coming into existence according to the mode of existence of the 
Existent, I there­fore existed. 
And it was thus that the Existent came into exis­tence, 
for I was anterior to the Two Anteriors that I made, 
for I had priority over the Two Anteriors, for my name was anterior to theirs, for
I made them thus anterior to the Two Anteriors .. . * 

According to my learned friend J A West

Tommy
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-23 18:42, tommy wrote:
The Master of the Universe declares: 
When I manifested myself into existence, existence existed. 
I came into existence in the form of the Existent, 
which came into existence in the First Time. 
Coming into existence according to the mode of existence of the 
Existent, I there­fore existed. 
And it was thus that the Existent came into exis­tence, 
for I was anterior to the Two Anteriors that I made, 
for I had priority over the Two Anteriors, for my name was anterior to theirs, for
I made them thus anterior to the Two Anteriors .. . * 

According to my learned friend J A West

heh heh -you said anterior!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-01-22 01:25, Josh Riel wrote:
Having said now that I read Continuity and Change in the Cult of Mithra, I wonder how many of you care...

Of course I care. The remake movies have been terrible. The evil Mithra and the new rendition of the tiny girls ... much prefer the original movie.
...to all the coins I've dropped here