The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Metamorphosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Franz Kafka's writing style has been described by some commentaries as "magical realism." Having read his short story The Metamorphosis, what are some themes and plot devices that a magician could pull from and incorporate into his/her performance material.

Please discuss...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Apart from a quick-change into a giant cockroach? It's been about 10 years since I've read it, give me time to review and I'll have some answers.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16554 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have not read it but why a giant cockroach? Why not something magical, like a unicorn?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
In [u]Metamorphosis[/u], the main character transforms into a Cockroach. If we want to talk about using Kafka themes in magic, [u]The Trial[/u] would be an excellent way to go. A man is arrested and goes through trial without any idea of why until the end. Thematically speaking, sounds a lot like the theory of false solutions to me.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Casey Magic
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
177 Posts

Profile of Casey Magic
I think David Blaine dips into the Kafka pool consistantly...and it's parallel is pretty obvious, I would think. Either way, could we put all these in one thread?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I don't understand a tale of a family's metamorphosis is related to stage conjuring. Even the most facile reader is expected to understand the "he turned into a bug" as a literary device.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
It strikes me that Kafka's tale would be a rather depressing basis for an illusion performance.

Hmmm...maybe something inspired by an Ionesco play or a Vonnegut story...?

Being a pulp fan, I could see a performing persona based loosely on Doc Savage (strongman/endurance stunts, escapes, mental acuity stunts, etc.)
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think Kafka sucked.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 20:42, MagicSanta wrote:
I think Kafka sucked.

Well, I don't know about Franz, but his writing sure did.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 20:02, Steve_Mollett wrote:
It strikes me that Kafka's tale would be a rather depressing basis for an illusion performance.

Hmmm...maybe something inspired by an Ionesco play or a Vonnegut story...?

Being a pulp fan, I could see a performing persona based loosely on Doc Savage (strongman/endurance stunts, escapes, mental acuity stunts, etc.)

Steve, I'm a big Doc Savage fan! What great idea for presentation!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Kafka is a little too sad and gloomy, IMHO, for supplying entertainment in a trick. He states it himself metaphorically in the first page of the second chapter of the Metamorphosid when he states: "The shine of the electric streetlights lay pale here and there on the ceiling and on the higher parts of the furnitures."

I do appreciate that the quote is made out of context but I also believe that subconscious screams through everything we say and do in magic as it does in litterature. But bizarre magic also has an entertaining value so...

What if people were expecting from magic an illusory relief rather than an enlightment of our sad and stressing limitations in an infinite universe.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Can you catch the reference in this clip?

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=FAP46A_NKEc&feature=related
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
From reading your spots I understand that you're a musician at heart. I've learned a few things in my life and still do but when it comes to music I must (to my shame) admit that I'm a total mongolito. Not that I dislike music but I just know nothing about it.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations