The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Need help removing glue. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I have a large piece of fabric where I glued many items on it. However after a long while I decided to remove those small items (rhinestones that are stuck with super glue) from the fabric and also the hardened glue residue.

I do not want to cut or damage the expensive fabric - so is there a way to remove all those hardened glue from the fabric?

I really hope there is a solution to this.

Thanks for helping.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
FIngernail polish remover or acetone will remove super glue, but I can't guarantee that it won't damage the fabric.

Look at this link:

http://www.lifespy.com/2007/how-to-remove-super-glue/
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi JamesTong - Clinton is correct. Acetone is what I use to remove residue. You may want to test it on small corner of the fabric also because depending on the color of the fabric (and what type of fabric it is), it may fade it or possibly 'thin' the fabric making it more brittle and easy to tear. Acetone works wonders though, but depending on the 'set time' (how long you have had the glue on there), may determine how much scrubbing you will have to do to get it off. I have used Acetone on suede, and it has taken the glue right out. I used it on vinyl also, and it was an instant removal with no color changing. Also, once you have taken off the gem stones, if your fabric can be put in a dryer, I recommend warming up the cloth first. This will slightly loosen the bond that the glue has before you remove it. There is also the option of dry cleaners. They seem to have stuff that can easily take out those types of things. Hope it helps some.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks ClintonMagus and 1906Alpha1906 for the help. Really appreciate it.

I will now get my hands on some Acetone. This is a job long overdue.

Thanks again
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
James,

After you test the fabric to see if it's colorfast, remove one rhinestone in an inconspicous place. Everything else being equal, there is a possibility that the fabic may have faded, except where the rhinestone is glued to it (much like a dark rectangle on the wall where a picture hangs for a long time).

Factors include whether the fabric was exposed to stong light (sun or stage), dust and the chemicals in the glue.

Good luck!

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, David, for that tip. Really appreciate it.

To think of it, after removing all those rhinestones ... and I get a two tone fabric ... LOL.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
If the two-tone fabric spots bother you... instead of trying to make everything one solid color... Just go in the opposite direction and tie-dye it!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.