The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Thin thread...not "invisible thread" but..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
I'm working on an effect where I need to load something that would be hanging from my hand from thread that would not be seen...this would be a "parlor/stage effect" so some thin regular thread would probably work...but I'm thinking somebody on here might know something that would be "less seen" but still work!!??

This would be something that weighs less than a pound...more like a few ounces so weight would'nt be a problem...still I don't want to have to "fight with" very thin thread ("invisible type")...maybe thin fishing line that's like 5 lb test or less????

Just wondering if anybody here has experience with really thin but "kind of strong" thread or line and where to get it!!???

Worth asking anyway???

THANKS!!!!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You want UNI-THREAD 08. it's very strong for it's size.. availalbe at a fly fishing store near you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There is a thread used in sewing that is called invisible thread, although not the same thing magicians use. It is a very fine monofilament, similar to fishing line, but even thinner. It is generally available in clear or smokey gray. It can be found in just about any store that has a decent selection of sewing thread, fabrics, etc. I've even seen it in Wal Mart. It should be strong enough to hold your load. If not, then double it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The problem with "invisible" thread from a sewing store is that it shines like a flashlight.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have always used black silk thread, but it is becoming hard to get locally.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm definitely going to check UNI-THREAD 08. Any day I learn something new is a good day! Smile Thanks, makeupguy!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
I went to my habidashery store and couldn't find the invisible thread, so I went up to the assistant and said "do you stock invisible thread, I cant see it on the shelf...." Duh I felt so stupid!! (true story!)
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
I'd have told him..."I work in an office and last week the lady out front told me "the invisible man is here to see you"...and I told her to tell HIM..."tell him I can't see him"

With a straight face of course!!!

;)