The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Matchbooks (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2003-05-18 20:03, ChrisMagic52 wrote:
Jay Sankey's Secret Files have a couple of really good matchbook tricks. I don't use them though.

I enjoy Jay's Chameleon in his Secret Files Vol. 1/ It's a really fantastic trick where a matchbook changes into a selected card! It requires some set up though..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Martin Gardner wrote a book called 'Match-ic', but it's been out of print for quite awhile. There are also many match tricks and stunts in his 'Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic'.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-03-11 20:42, DanHarlan wrote:
On my Ultimate Impromptu Volume 1 (L&L) are:

Traveling Match -- full routining of Milbourne Christopher's Flying Match, including a repeat phase. Shows how to cleanly vanish a match at your fingertips.

Then There Were Nine -- quick mental effect with any borrowed matchbook.

Make Ten -- a few short puzzles end with the performer visibly changing a paper match into a ten dollar bill.

Mark Sicher's A Perfect Match -- a beautiful torn and restored match (a la Slydini)

Penetrating Matches -- a classic, finally properly explained.

Magnetic Match -- causing one match to jump strangely when touched by another.

Invisible Hangman -- magically popping the head off of a match.

Al Koran's The Same Only Different -- can be done with any small, countable items, but works great with matches.

Also, I have a couple of gimmicked effects from the Premium Blend series:

Under Covers (vol 1) -- the name of a card appears painted inside a matchbook that was shown empty. No switch.

Spread 'Em (vol 4) -- the five remaining matches in a marked book spread out in a line yet remain attached.

There are also a few puzzles on my Mindbogglers series (vol 4 for matches) which has just been re-released on DVD.

You can also apply some relatively standard concepts to matches. Matrix, chink-a-chink, two in the hand - one in the pocket, coins across, spellbound, etc.
--Dan Harlan

Dan, you beat me to it! I had in mind to mention your tapes...some of the coolest matchbook effects in the world are on those tapes!

Highly recommended!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
Match IC is available as an ebook from Lybrary.com. A pretty good deal for 4 or 5 bucks. Many of the tricks mentioned in this post are included. It covers wood matches, paper matches, puzzles and stunts/gags.
-Chris-
JackSpade
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JackSpade
I like to open with Daniel Garcia's Warning which uses one match. I don't think that this is available anymore because its not the healthy to perform all the time, but you could probably find it somewhere.

Since I've already lit one match, I'm set up for my voodoo ash on the specs palm routine (which gets me more girls phone numbers than any other trick I do for some reason). If I want to keep going with the matches theme I vanish the SECOND match (that I just used for the voodoo ash) and it reappears burned and reconnected in the match book.

To close, I explain that I always put the matches back in the book because I hate wasting matches. When the spectator questions this logic, I take the burnt match and "re-light" it.

A very easy routine that plays big at the bars I frequent.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2004-03-07 01:25, MacGyver wrote:
While on the semi-topic on matches, Does anyone know of a commercially availible "Card to BOX of matches"?

Where a card folds into a match box? like the bill to matchbook....

I have made my own but they aren't very good, I'm looking for a commercial version that might be pastic or otherwise handle and look better.

This effect is in Jay Sankey's Secret Files; however, the card is folded into a book of matches, not match box.. Hope this helps.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That reminds me of a killer on those DVds. Chameleon is one I have used a lot, and it leaves 'em with jaws dropped. Worth the price of the entire DVD.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
There is also a neat card transforming into a matchbook with a gimmecked card in Dan Hauss very first Penguin Live lecture from 2012. I think he is also selling the gimmick himself.

Part of the lit and restored routines mentioned above are explained in the Penguin Magic's "The Greatest Beginner Magic DVD Ever featuring Oz Pearlman and Jessie Geneva", which I think is free for download from Penguin.com
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Here is an interesting matchbook trick. Not difficult and does play well.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5831
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
BTW, I can't find the Firetrap trick mentioned in the first posts. Does anyone have hints to share about it?

Thanks!
Andrea
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
How about the routine where you thread a closed matchbook on a string and with the ends held, you then remove it under a napkin cover. When they think it is so easy , have them try. They find that the matchbook is stapled completely shut.

Also, one where you hold a matchbook closed, at your finger tips. You ask them to name a number between 1 and 20... The total number of matches in a matchbook. Once they name the number, you open book and remove that exact number ... One by one. Then you show that the matchbook is completely empty. Kind of a prediction. Think this was in MAGICK.

Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz