The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The marquee says... :: Big Daddy Cool hits NYC! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
So, what does 2009 hold for "Big Daddy Cool" John B. Pyka and friends? While other people are fearful about 2009, I am strangely optimistic. I feel like it may well be my best year yet!

Obviously the big news for 2009 is that Lonny Divine, Krista Chilton, Christina Malone, and I will debut a brand-new show called The Club Roxy Revue at the Producer’s Club Theater in New York City March 20th. This will be a world-debut weekend, followed by a regional theater tour. The show is written by me and Andy Still, and Andy will serve as director. The show stars Big Daddy Cool, and the story revolves around the attempt of Frankie Deluca and Trixie Malone to take over BDC’s Club Roxy. It is in essence a sequel to Swingin At The Roxy, which was a huge hit for me, and toured theaters nationwide for four years. Like it’s predecessor, this new Roxy features hit swing music and high energy dance. However, it is very different in that this story features magic that actually moves the story along. It is the penultimate expression of theatrical magic.

This show will also be a historic event in that not since Magic Man starring Doug Henning has there been a true narrative magic musical to open on or off Broadway in New York City! That’s been since the mid 1970s!

Our plan after the world debut is to take the show on tour to regional theaters throughout the southeast US and then showcase in Las Vegas. More details to come over the next few months!

In June, Music City Magic will return for a new season at Opry Mills Mall. The season will coincide with the International Brotherhood of Magicians annual convention to be held in Nashville, TN. While details are still being firmed up, the plans are to include the IBM and cross promote the convention. Because so many magicians from around the world will be attending the convention, Music City Magic will feature several guest performers including Chris Randall, Josh Chaikin, and more to be announced!

Lonny Divine will be launching a solo illusion show in the late summer. A venue is still being sought, but it will feature Lonny Divine and Miss Direction is their first ever solo theater show! We are so happy and excited to be working on this project!

Finally, The Holiday Family Theater will return for the Christmas season at Opry Mills Mall!

Whew! That is a lot of cool stuff happening, and that just the stuff I can tell you about now! There will be more news coming in the next few weeks and months that will make you flip yer lid! Can you dig that? I knew that you could.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
ncarifo
View Profile
New user
Burbank, California
56 Posts

Profile of ncarifo
Congrats BDC.

Tho just FYI, "Magic Man" was a musical in Chicago starring David Copperfield in the late 70's.

Doug Henning Premierd Stephen Swartz's "The Magic Show" in the mid-seventies and it was extremely successful and launched the career of Doug Henning. However, it was not the last narrative magic musical on Broadway. In the 1980's Doug Henning returned to Broadway in "MERLIN".

There were several magicians who had successful and not-so-successful runs on and off Broadway, but not sure if they follow the format you refer to as narrative, such as Joseph Gabriels "Magic on Broadway" illusion show, Penn & Teller, Monday Night Magic, & Ricky Jay among others.

One that probably would be narrative and broke records in teh mid-1990s be David Copperfield's "Dreams and Nightmares", with creative advisor Francis Ford Coppola.

So... you are in good company. Continued success.
-----------------------------------------
Nicholas Carifo
Modern Magician Productions
nicholas@modernmagician.com
www.modernmagician.com
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
Actually Henning appeared in "The Magic Show" and "Merlin", which ran in 1983.
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

My bad on the title - never heard of Merlin.

But the point is that since then, there has not been a narrative magic MUSICAL to open on or off-broadway, although there have been narrative magic shows, and magic in general.

So, I'm a little jazzed about it.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
ncarifo
View Profile
New user
Burbank, California
56 Posts

Profile of ncarifo
Quote:
On 2009-01-01 19:10, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
So, I'm a little jazzed about it.

Of course, as you should be. All the best... and break a leg.

Here's a little more on Merlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsX43madhDQ
-----------------------------------------
Nicholas Carifo
Modern Magician Productions
nicholas@modernmagician.com
www.modernmagician.com
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Keep me updated and we'll bring a crew out to see you.

Peter
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Excellent!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Just announced - preview performance at Winter Carnival of Magic 2009. Take that!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com