The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Vanishing cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
554 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
Hi All and Happy New Year

what is the best silk size for a vanishing cane routine, 12 or 18?

thanks/Fabio
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
18" or even 24", or two 18", one one each end.
There is a lot of room in there. We are speaking of the metal one, yes?
The plastic can also hold two 18" but you must be careful not to jam the silks in because it will bindthe plastic.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use two 18" in a plastic Fantsio cane. Been doing it for years and have never had a problem.

Jim
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don't overlook using diamond cut silks. Two 18" diamond cuts look like two 24" squares. The cane moves better and an 18" diamond cut only takes the space of a 12" square cut.

Check with MagicIanS above for a great way to go the other way too with three diamond cuts that become a flag on an appearing cane. (I'll bet you he could make one vanish a white and red or black silk and produce a red/white or black/white zebra striped flag on the cane.)

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
I use a 36" in a Fantasio.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Chris,

Is that a 36" square silk or a diamond cut that looks 36"?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Al Delage used to load a 12' streamer in his.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-01 18:47, ChrisG wrote:
I use a 36" in a Fantasio.

One 36" in a fantasio is the same (or so) as four 18". So you are winding up with holding the two top corners of the 36" silk?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicgolferman
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicgolferman
I think diamond cut is the way to go. I use two black 18, square. I often have trouble with the cane vanishing "slowly."

Some of the best advice (or idea) that I have been given was...

Black and White confetti! Fill up the cane with confetti and make a lunging motion upward, spreading the confetti everywhere!

However, if you can't afford to clean that all up every time, I'd suggest yo use black diamond cut silks
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Bob / Ian
It is a 36" square. Yes I end with the two top corners.
It is the first routine I bought from Duane Laflin. I tell the story of Blind Bartimaeus.

M. Thatcher
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 22:29, ChrisG wrote:
Bob / Ian
It is a 36" square. Yes I end with the two top corners.
It is the first routine I bought from Duane Laflin. I tell the story of Blind Bartimaeus.

That is a "stuffed" cane. But makes a beautiful transposition. Even better, it sets you up to steal a body load the size of an elephant.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Ever combine it with the production of a Card Silk?
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Bob
I work it in as I extend the cane, using half a set of chop sticks. Also as the cap is removed I twist it, which makes it a little faster and quieter. Although now that I added music noise is not a problem.

I use several different silks, "butterfly", "the end",etc. no cards yet. I do use it for cover mostly silk fountain or appearing candle. I also use it to retrieve things from my table. I am starting to add more body loads.

I like using silk and hang out in this area of the Café a lot.

M. Thatcher
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Fantasio tells how to fold a 36" picture silk to fit and work in his canes in his book.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I am an expert with the metal appearing canes and have 10 minutes devoted to it in my lecture, the vanishing cane has never been a staple in my act. Just as a dealer.
The twist just prior to vanish is a great help. I think my problem years ago, was that I used acetate foulards for a while cause I was "frugal". That and those cheap India feather flowers which jammed the cane vanish as well.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Another thing that helps is I twist the silk the opposite direction of the cane a few turns before I load it. This helps the silk to come out untwisted and easier to catch the lose corner.

M. Thatcher
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The large silk fountain is the perfect "next step" in this routine. I like it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
What I do is I produce two silks and hold one in each hand... then I get the cane vanish it and the silks I have in my hand help hide the cane.

I use 18" silks for everything.

Thanks

Carlos
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I use a 12-foot Rice streamer in a Fantasio vanishing cane as the finale to my dancing cane routine. You can see a video including the transformation at
http://members.cavtel.net/parmenides/cane.mov
I think it adds to the impact of "magic" if the cane transforms into a streamer that is at least double the length of the cane.

If I'm performing in a venue that is not conducive to the dancing cane, I do just the transformation without the dancing cane bit. This is usually my opener, since it makes sense for a magician to "arrive" at a destination with a cane in hand as opposed to making an entrance, performing two other routines, and then picking up the cane to do the transformation.

I always found it puzzling/interesting that when I do the cane to streamer for a kid show audience, the kids think the cane is a magic wand. (I think when kids hear the word "cane" the only image that comes to mind is a red and white striped candy cane.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
Sonny,
Instead of "cane," maybe kids would relate more to the term "walking stick" or "walking cane," or even "staff" (for the Lord of the Rings & D&D crowds)
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Perhaps it could be a large magic wand. That's what I say when I do an appearing cane.